• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crackling static sounds on S.M.S.L. Sanskrit MKII

I have been using this DAC for about 2 days and there is a repeatable distortion/crackling sound that happens on all of the settings on the DAC. The audio chain is Mac/Spotify/DAC/Klipsch Powergate/LS50s. I have alternated all of the cables with no avail. This does not happen with either a direct usb or optical cable. I can hear it using a cd player instead of the Mac, using an Atom instead of the Klipsch, and can hear it as well on a pair of ER3SEs instead of LS50s. I have uploaded a sound clip where I have isolated the repeatable sound. It occurs throughout music but this is the best I can isolate it. Did I get a dud?

https://streamable.com/xw4uk0

Rrobot

Same here, I just got mine. I'm going Android TV (mi box 3) via usb to the dac. Same crackling on all settings. It's really a shame and kinda ruins the device for me as I bought it as a preamp.:(

Last edited:
OP
C
I bought it off of eBay from a seller with 5k sales. I am glad its not just in my head, but sorry its your too. I emailed SMSL because it was missing a line in the screen but they never got back to me. I have generally avoided SMSL/Topping because of worries about issues that will not get resolved so I guess I learned my lesson but bought it because it measured so well here. Did the video match up with your experiences?

Rrobot

I'll try and post a video of my own.. Im still investigating...optical seems fine, and usb off my moode loaded pi seems better, if somewhat laggy changing the volume. Maybe it's related to Android TV for me. I'm not really experienced enough to understand how Android deals with audio.

I'm surprised to be honest as I thought being a 2nd Gen from a very reputable Chinese DAC maker it'd be rock solid. I've found SMSL pretty high quality in the past.

Pablovi77

Did you returned them? Mine doesn’t do that, but it does build up static on the metal case, and if you touch it while in use, it will discharge and shutdown the DAC, I have to restart my RPi for it to work again.

OP
C
Oh no! I do not have that issue. The issue I was having I found out was a USB issue with my computer. I switched to optical and haven't had any issues since. Are you sure that is not a grounding issue rather than a static one?

Pablovi77

Oh no! I do not have that issue. The issue I was having I found out was a USB issue with my computer. I switched to optical and haven't had any issues since. Are you sure that is not a grounding issue rather than a static one?

I don’t know, but you can feel the static discharge when it happens. I changed it’s placing and both cables, USB and RCA’s. And will continue to test. It doesn’t happen on my computer. Thanks!

Aardappel

I don’t know, but you can feel the static discharge when it happens. I changed it’s placing and both cables, USB and RCA’s. And will continue to test. It doesn’t happen on my computer. Thanks!
How have you been going with the DAC? Are you hearing any popping noises?

Pablovi77

How have you been going with the DAC? Are you hearing any popping noises?
No, nothing like that, even before, there was not static sound, it was just that it build up static on the outside of the case, and when you touched it it will short the circuit and reboot. But I guess it was the place where I placed it or the cables I used before, I’ve since moved it and changed cables and hasn’t happened once.

ismar

hey guys ,I had a same issue with the mentioned unit.Just replace usb power connection cable with the cell phone charger

Top Bottom