• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cracking sound in headphones with new FiiO Q3

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
Hey, I was wondering if anyone can help me narrow down this one time issue I had. I plugged in my Hifiman Sundara headphones into the FiiO Q3 Dac/Amp which I received today. It was playing great for a while, but about 10 minutes in, randomly I was adjusting volume down and the left driver of my Sundara produced three very loud cracks, and I immediately turned off the amp and unplugged everything. I thought at first maybe the cable was at fault, but I checked the connections already with a multimeter and everything is fine. I also have been using this same 2.5mm balanced cable with the E1DA 9038S G3 for a week, no issues. I've been playing around with the volume to see if I could replicate it, so far nothing. Maybe it was a volume adjustment error? I know FiiO uses the ADC reconstructing curve to get perfect channel balance with an analog potentiometer on their Q series, perhaps that malfunctioned for a second? It's either the amp or the driver, but I guess I can't know for sure until I can replicate the issue.

Also maybe there are some tests I could perform to pinpoint the issue, suggestions?

Top Bottom