• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Covid-19 and Vitamin D

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A true drug or therapy would target a specific pathogen and kill it. Antibiotics are examples of this. Vitamin D and many other environmental influences can twist and affect the outcome in some way or other, yes, I can say that being healthy and eating healthy is a drug against COVID. Most with healthy lifestyle will have better outcomes.

And have you considered this? People with higher vitamin D may actually be eating more fish, which may provide the actual defense against COVID. This is just an example of how a correlation may just be a correlation
If this was correlation only I would agree, but as I have posted earlier in this thread, there are studies of it being given as treatment in patients with better outcomes.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually there were several level 3 studies done with the vaccines right in the middle of the pandemic, hundreds of thousands volunteers worldwide getting shots of vaccine candidates a lot more uncertain than a common vitamin D. This should be quite easy in comparison.
But aren't you suggesting volunteers that are in a hospital actively sick with COVID-19? Isn't that the type of study you are looking for? Or are you looking for a study to prove vitamin D reduces the incidence of infection?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vaccines are great, no question about it. And if you and I take vitamins, fine. Even if some practitioners recommend, they are a minority. Overall there is little government funding on large scale research let alone giving medical guidelines for all practitioners to prescribe.
Your illness could have been fatal otherwise, ever thought about it this way?
Absolutely. One never knows what contributes to whether one is sick or not sick or hospitalised or not hospitalised or live or die. I am only one person with my experience is totally anecdotal.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Matias , your comments are exactly the equivalent of audio foolery. Every one with a heavy experience in (medical) science is telling you so and you keep arguing. Think about it.
Really? Did you skip this post? The writer is a "Richard Carmona MD, MPH, FACS was the 17th Surgeon General of the United States and is the Distinguished Professor of Public Health at MEZCOPH" (bio). I think he is pretty qualified to argue the same I am arguing. If you don't agree, please provide facts and counter studies instead.

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But aren't you suggesting volunteers that are in a hospital actively sick with COVID-19? Isn't that the type of study you are looking for? Or are you looking for a study to prove vitamin D reduces the incidence of infection?
Hmm, both maybe?

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"Both maybe?"

Matias, you are really defending a "hail Mary" with this. You will always find people and papers that say ONE thing and many that say the other. It is clear to me that your understanding of the medical literature or how to read and interpret clinical studies is not good enough.

Fine, this is your position and situation. You are not going to convince me of this. Vit D is to my mind D-Anon until a high quality study is done. I have seen the exuberant enthusiasm for remdesivir already with incomplete data that then had to be "qualified". If an anti-viral does not reduce viral load, how does it work? And the evidence for REM or the size of studies was pretty good. It took careful evaluation to understand this. We are far off, very far off with Vit D.

Matias, you can't provide evidence of what does not exist. A proper study. Evidently (pun intended) a proper study is nowhere to be found.

Go take your Vit D. Be happy. But you won't convince me without proper studies. Period. And I guess even the immunologist that explained this to you here won't change your mind.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Both maybe?"

Matias, you are really defending a "hail Mary" with this. You will always find people and papers that say ONE thing and many that say the other. It is clear to me that your understanding of the medical literature or how to read and interpret clinical studies is not good enough.

Fine, this is your position and situation. You are not going to convince me of this. Vit D is to my mind D-Anon until a high quality study is done. I have seen the exuberant enthusiasm for remdesivir already with incomplete data that then had to be "qualified". If an anti-viral does not reduce viral load, how does it work? And the evidence for REM or the size of studies was pretty good. It took careful evaluation to understand this. We are far off, very far off with Vit D.

Matias, you can't provide evidence of what does not exist. A proper study. Evidently (pun intended) a proper study is nowhere to be found.

Go take your Vit D. Be happy. But you won't convince me without proper studies. Period. And I guess even the immunologist that explained this to you here won't change your mind.
I am not trying to change your mind. If you don't want to discuss this further, add more studies, give more arguments, then just ignore this thread. Thanks for passing by, have a nice day.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So should people spend their Covid-19 stimulus checks on more Vitamin D or higher SINAD equipment? I am so confused.
Easy: buy the vitamin D first, as it is cheap, and the rest in audio, of course! :D

earlevel

I've been taking 10,000 units a day for years, my doctor checks my levels and nags me if it's not high enough. (He's a longevity-oriented doc, one of the things he's a stickler about.) When covid started up, I had a hunch and checked, looking for countries with high D sufficiency, comparing it to outbreaks—Thailand and Vietnam stand out as the highest sufficiency in the world...while coincidentally being almost devoid of impact from the virus. Correlation isn't causation, but I figured it would be interesting looking back in a couple of years.

In the beginning, my local nutrition store got wiped out on C, and zinc was hit pretty hard. I saw mention of NAC somewhere and thought "of course", expected the sstore to be cleaned out, they had tons of it. (I used to take it daily decades ago, had fallen off.) Cheap, no-brainer (take C with it).

A few months ago, I saw a doctor on a tv news program, he said "D, zinc , NAC, C, reduced glutathione". OK, had never taken the last one, added it, what the heck.

As has been said, D3. But if you're taking a calcium supplement, it's probably a good idea to ditch the calcium. If you eat dairy, you'll have plenty anyway. (I say "probably" because like most things, you can find evidence that it's very dangerous in theory, though some studies don't show that to be apparently true, etc. Still, it doesn't seem like a good idea. A minimum, it's unlikely that calcium supplements are going to do you any good anyway, barring a diet lacking it, so it seems you're just risking the bad.)

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Taddpole

So should people spend their Covid-19 stimulus checks on more Vitamin D or higher SINAD equipment? I am so confused.

I think we need to run more extensive tests on the effect of higher SINAD equipment on Covid.

JeffGB

This study used a single dose of 200,000iu d3 after the person was already sick and in the hospital. Earlier studies that showed the effectiveness of D3 supplements showed that single high-dose d3 did NOT improve anything. D3 has to go through both the liver and the kidneys to be useful and by that time they were released from the hospital.
This study may be "correctly done" as far as these studies are concerned but the premise was incorrect from the start. They merely confirmed what has already been found in the earlier studies. They didn't try what has been shown to work, which is long-term daily supplements.

I take daily supplements of vitamin D3 and have since the pandemic started. My wife is immune-compromised and has been taking D3 for years. I have noticed that even when we both got the flu, I got worse and it lasted longer even though she is immune-compromised. This is anecdotal to be sure but many anecdotal studies/observations are accepted by everyone. Jumping out of an airplane with a parachute, for instance. Is there a properly designed, peer-reviewed study with two groups one of which wore parachutes and the other that didn't and then jumped out of a plane? No, that would be stupid, but we don't argue there is no perfect study to prove it, we just put on a parachute.

BinkieHuckerback

This study used a single dose of 200,000iu d3 after the person was already sick and in the hospital. Earlier studies that showed the effectiveness of D3 supplements showed that single high-dose d3 did NOT improve anything. D3 has to go through both the liver and the kidneys to be useful and by that time they were released from the hospital.
This study may be "correctly done" as far as these studies are concerned but the premise was incorrect from the start. They merely confirmed what has already been found in the earlier studies. They didn't try what has been shown to work, which is long-term daily supplements.

I take daily supplements of vitamin D3 and have since the pandemic started. My wife is immune-compromised and has been taking D3 for years. I have noticed that even when we both got the flu, I got worse and it lasted longer even though she is immune-compromised. This is anecdotal to be sure but many anecdotal studies/observations are accepted by everyone. Jumping out of an airplane with a parachute, for instance. Is there a properly designed, peer-reviewed study with two groups one of which wore parachutes and the other that didn't and then jumped out of a plane? No, that would be stupid, but we don't argue there is no perfect study to prove it, we just put on a parachute.

BinkieHuckerback

OK. Keep taking the supplements. I've never taken extra vit D and I've never had 'flu' (or any other health problem). 'This is anecdotal to be sure but many anecdotal studies/observations are accepted by everyone.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom