• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Covid-19 and Vitamin D

Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's winter here in Canada.

Don't get cocky, kid.

My Vitamin D source (took this on the phone the other day)... ;)

Looking south:
man beach south (Medium).jpg

Looking north:
main beach north (Medium).jpg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was not supplementing with vitamins before Covid, and these studies have made me consider and I started taking vitamins D and C only.
Beyond the 20 mcg / 800 IU recommended daily allowance published by the US Food & Drug Administration, how did you determine your correct dosage?

Dogen

Forum Donor
Even if you don’t believe in supplements, do ask to have your vitamin D level checked. It’s not part of the standard blood work up, and lots of people are deficient even by USDA standards. I know because it happened to me; very low levels and no clue. Now I take vitamin D daily and feel better in general. More energy, fewer illnesses... Just be informed about your situation.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Dogen

Forum Donor
Beyond the 20 mcg / 800 IU recommended daily allowance published by the US Food & Drug Administration, how did you determine your correct dosage?
It’s best done by monitoring your blood levels. Different people process doses differently. There’s no one answer.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a local doctor advocating 200 ius per kg of body mass as a general rule, children included, and also monitoring blood concentration. I have been taking 20,000 ius for my 82 kg since March, no problems. I just did blood exams and asked for my concentration, waiting to find out my results.

My wife is 62 kg and takes 10,000 ius her concentration was in the high 90s ng/ml, so excellent.

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
Even if you don’t believe in supplements, do ask to have your vitamin D level checked. It’s not part of the standard blood work up, and lots of people are deficient even by USDA standards. I know because it happened to me; very low levels and no clue. Now I take vitamin D daily and feel better in general. More energy, fewer illnesses... Just be informed about your situation.
This is EXACTLY the placebo effect that audiophiles use to "document" their superior hearing. Don't fall into that trap.

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
Why should I? Do your own homework
OK, Mr Doctor. tell me where I should find this. Is it in the National Library of Medicine? If it is not in Pubmed, where is it?
I published with a very nice Greek doctor many years ago. Delightful fellow. His name is Angelos Hatzakis. I'll ask him to teach me how to do this. Again.

Canuck57

Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
There are 13 essential vitamins. This means that these vitamins are required for the body to work properly. They are:
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002399.htm

What happened to vitamins F, G H, I and J?

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-there-...A-B-C-D-and-E-Where-did-vitamins-F-G-H-I-J-go

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
There are 13 essential vitamins. This means that these vitamins are required for the body to work properly. They are:
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002399.htm

What happened to vitamins F, G H, I and J?

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-there-...A-B-C-D-and-E-Where-did-vitamins-F-G-H-I-J-go
You are missing the most important one. Vitamin W. It comes from the careful fermentation of grapes...

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"The 14 day mortality of 77 elderly (mean age 88 years) hospitalized patients comparing those that regularly supplemented vitamin D in the preceding 12 months and those that started supplementing after COVID-19 diagnosis. Both groups were compared to a third group that didn’t supplement with vitamin D at all. Long-time supplementers had a 93.1% survival rate compared to 81.7% survival rate in the more recent supplementers, and there was a 68.7% survival rate in the group that didn’t take vitamin D. Given the hazard ratio 0.07 in the first group, the study reported a 93% reduced associated risk for those that regularly supplemented vitamin D. In other words, the no supplementation group was associated with 14.3 times the risk of death compared to those who regularly supplemented with vitamin D."

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/11/3377

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom