• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Covid-19 and Vitamin D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There a several studies relating not only strong correlation but also causal relationship between high-dose Vitamin D and significantly better outcomes of Covid-19 cases. Yet it seems mostly ignored by mainstream media and governments, let alone big pharma.

This post is a rant about the situation:
https://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2021-02-15/lives-lost-covid-vitamin-d/

Specially this article it cites is very interesting:
"The pre-print paper in the Lancet shows there was an 80 per cent reduction in admission to intensive care units among hospitalised patients who were treated with large doses of Vitamin D, and a 64 per cent reduction in death." (preliminary and have not been peer-reviewed)

"Oral calcifediol treatment [25(OH)D3] (Hidroferol® Faes-Farma, Lejona, Spain), in soft capsules was administered as following: first dose of 2 capsules (266 micrograms/capsule) at baseline (day 0), a second dose of 1 capsule at day 3, and subsequent doses of 1 capsule at days 7, 15, and 30. The non-treated control group were patients who did not receive calcifediol at the time of hospitalization."

That is, 20,000 ius on day 0, and 10,000 ius on days 3, 7, 15 and 30.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3771318#

Here are several more studies:
https://c19study.com/d

dsplevels2.svg

I think it is crazy that this is being mostly ignored 1 year later! o_O

Last edited:

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been following this for years, but the Covid thing is amazing:
https://www.pbs.org/video/university-place-bone-attacks-and-vitamin-d/
Apparently Vit D was actually 'discovered' here, too?
In any event, and barely even circumstantial, but I now think I contracted covid back in June, but was nearly symptom free, except that that's when I seemed to have lost my sense of taste and smell.
The reason for this thought is that - having been mostly without smell or taste for 6 mos, a few minutes after receiving the Moderna vaccine, it returned. Granted, only for a little while, but it was pretty startling, and since then it's been very gradually continuing to improve.
Speculation, of course, but....did perhaps VitD (2000-4000 IU per day) dampen covid symptoms in me?
Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Preprints available here are not Lancet publications or necessarily under review with a Lancet journal. These preprints are early stage research papers that have not been peer-reviewed. The findings should not be used for clinical or public health decision making and should not be presented to a lay audience without highlighting that they are preliminary and have not been peer-reviewed.

(italics added by me)

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been following this for years, but the Covid thing is amazing:
https://www.pbs.org/video/university-place-bone-attacks-and-vitamin-d/
Apparently Vit D was actually 'discovered' here, too?
In any event, and barely even circumstantial, but I now think I contracted covid back in June, but was nearly symptom free, except that that's when I seemed to have lost my sense of taste and smell.
The reason for this thought is that - having been mostly without smell or taste for 6 mos, a few minutes after receiving the Moderna vaccine, it returned. Granted, only for a little while, but it was pretty startling, and since then it's been very gradually continuing to improve.
Speculation, of course, but....did perhaps VitD (2000-4000 IU per day) dampen covid symptoms in me?
Definitely worth keeping an eye on.
Funny you mention that. Today a colleague just returned to work after a stay in ICU because of Covid. He is in his 30's, overweight, was not having Vit D supplementation, and had a hell of an experience recovering. He mentioned that his taste and smell was fine, but noticed that people who did lose taste and smell had very mild symptoms. Huh. Not scientific at all, but worth noting.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(italics added by me)
Fine, added the "cover my a**" legal disclaimer to the first post.

How about the other 49 studies linked after it, several of them peer reviewed? Sure, they are all "preliminary", but what does it take to be conclusive?

Neddy

Granted, "absence of evidence isn't ...." but, still.
I had a stroke in November, and one of the followons from that was multiple brain scans.
I mentioned the loss of smell thing to the neurologist, and he looked specifically at that area of the brain and said, nope, my stroke blockage (which he had roto-rootered, live during a CT scan!) was not associated with that area of the brain. So, not a result of that (and predated it anyway)...but interesting to be able to eliminate that possibility.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fine, added the "cover my a**" legal disclaimer to the first post.

How about the other 49 studies linked after it, several of them peer reviewed? Sure, they are all "preliminary", but what does it take to be conclusive?
Apparently at least 50 :)

hex168

Here in Vermont, Vitamin D is part of the standard protocol for COVID cases. I do not know the dosage.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Bulldogger

Hmmm. I was very low in vitamin D at my last physical after Covid . I didn't do well with Covid but didn't get hospitalized. I'm supplementing now. Also taking potassium and zinc. Not sure what has a bearing on Covid but I'll do my part to prevent getting sick again. I am waiting for my second dose of the Moderna vaccine so don't plan on testing if vitamin D helps :)/

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Have been using 3000IU or 4000IU D3 capsules for years now.
Also helps in the winter against fatique.

Also use Zinc but when using that you lower your copper so use Zinc-Copper supplements.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend of mine who is medicine doctor recommended me to take vitamine D (2000 IE per day), vitamine C and zinc to reduce the effects of a Covid-19 infection which I have been doing since then. I am also surprised there are no official recommendations, although it seems to be common secret and a lot of products with such ingredients are lately advertised on TV here in Germany (even orange juice), they don't refer though to Covid-19 explicitly but just strong immune system, guess to avoid possible legal consequences.

hex168

The problem is that the general medical consensus is that 400 ius a day is sufficient, and multivitamins have very few like 200 ius. This is almost nothing. Recent studies suggest taking by the thousands a day to increase the concentration in the blood significantly.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0239252

Vermont's protocol is definitely in the 1000's of IUs, but I do not know the exact dosage.

[edit] I should add that Vermont has long dark winters and likely has a higher incidence of low Vitamin D levels than most locations.

Last edited:

gags11

Forum Donor
I do not think the data is ignored. If it were, we wouldn’t have the studies that we have.

Some of the studies have shown little or no difference. At best, the data may show some correlation, but not cause and effect. Sometimes when you want to look for a specific outcome, you may find it, unless you do a proper double blind randomized trial.

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
Vitamin D, Zinc, etc as publicized are not different to the people that claim that jellyfish brain extract is great for their memory...
Pharma has nothing to do with these compounds. If anything, it should be universities or governmental institutions that would test them.
The fact that there are multiple papers (I have not read them so I can't comment on each of them) does not necessarily mean that they are all adequately designed and well controlled. It is not easy to test these compounds under these circumstances.
It is, basically, "anecdotal" information.

It is surprisingly a similar situation to AUDIO SCIENCE or audio foolery.

ENG

Forum Donor
Take vitamin D in the form of D3. Don’t think that you get enough vitamins and minerals through your “normal” food. Remember that the amount of daily vitamins was established so you wasn’t in need. And not what was healthy or good.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Vitamin D, Zinc, etc as publicized are not different to the people that claim that jellyfish brain extract is great for their memory...
Pharma has nothing to do with these compounds. If anything, it should be universities or governmental institutions that would test them.
The fact that there are multiple papers (I have not read them so I can't comment on each of them) does not necessarily mean that they are all adequately designed and well controlled. It is not easy to test these compounds under these circumstances.
It is, basically, "anecdotal" information.

It is surprisingly a similar situation to AUDIO SCIENCE or audio foolery.

So you have not read the papers, dismiss them as probably both inadequately designed and controlled, classify it as "anecdotal" and make a funny comparison?

If more people react like that, I guess this explains how a year has passed with thousands people dying and dozens of studies are still being ignored.

Again, many of the papers are peer reviewed, with control groups and statistically valid. This is not "guessing".

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
There a several studies relating not only strong correlation but also causal relationship between high-dose Vitamin D and significantly better outcomes of Covid-19 cases.

It’s well documented.
I am an MD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom