• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Covering bass traps with a poster, am I doing this right?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Long story short, my partner purchased a gigantic poster (A0, probably larger) from a famous Champaign house in France.

Louise-1.jpg

We had a heated argument and the conclusion was that bass traps can only go in the living room as long they're covered by posters (particularly this one).

I'm thinking of measuring which frequencies are blocked/reflected by the poster by placing the poster infront of my speaker and measure before and after.

Does this sound like a sensible strategy? What are your experiences with this?

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the poster on paper or fabric? In other words, if you blow on it, does air go through it?

paper, air will not go through it but it's definitely bendy. my assumption that it will let frequencies up to 2KHz through unobstructed. still haven't tested though.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
It's for a bass trap and avoid high frequency absorption , not for the reflections absorption with a broadband absorber.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's for a bass trap and avoid high frequency absorption , not for the reflections absorption with a broadband absorber.

I have no absorption in the room at all so I wouldn't mind broadband range (or at least till the the room stops being modal around ~2KHz).

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor
Are the bass traps in the corners, and if so, what air gap is around them?

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

raindance

Major Contributor
You can always measure with and without the posters and see what the impact on decay in the SBIR area is.

Typically you'd want to get the pictures printed on fabric though for this application because absorption in the SBIR area is typically pushed up into the upper bass/low mid area by positioning speakers as close as possible to the wall.

For a true bass trap application it wouldn't make much difference except perhaps limit absorption at higher frequencies, which can be a good thing.

I use both full height bass traps with a 4" air gap all round for primary mode absorption in the front corners (my room has 2 modes that reinforce each other at 46Hz causing about a 20dB boost there) and 4 inch thick Corning 703 2'x4' panels directly behind the speakers to control SBIR. Two sides of the bass traps (facing into the room) have full length thin plywood sheets to prevent excessive absorbtion above bass frequencies. I still need to apply a notch filter at 46Hz to both my mains and my subwoofer as the bass traps make very little difference to the low bass frequency response, just the decay time. The SBIR treatment makes a decent difference though. Weirdly, if I plug the port on the left main speaker only, the primary mode is no longer an issue for ther mains and I can get away with EQ only on the sub.

Just relating my experience, hopefully it's helpful.

Another approach I've tried that worked, but took up too much space with the speakers being quite far into the room, was aligning the SBIR effect with the primary room mode. This worked with no room treatment at all, but the speakers were around 6' into the room to combat the 46Hz peak.

Last edited:

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@abdo123 - this is an excellent idea for a bass trap. The targeted frequencies will pass through the poster, for absorption within, and some HF liveliness will be preserved in the room. It's the right approach, especially if you plan to use several.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So it appears the poster is transparent till 600 Hz and then it becomes exponentially reflective.
1625665525512.png

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Great result. That's pretty much exactly what you want. Good sound and domestic harmony preserved - win win.

well if you would look at the response you would see that I have problems till 2KHz, not till 600Hz.

What I want is to increase the decay time leading up to 2KHz.

raindance

Major Contributor
Looks like SBIR effect is just below 200Hz, but smoothing makes it hard to see conclusively. Can you show a drawing of room layout or a picture?

That 1K cancellation may just be cancellation from measuring both speakers at the same time or layout related. That is what I'd look at.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
well if you would look at the response you would see that I have problems till 2KHz, not till 600Hz.

What I want is to increase the decay time leading up to 2KHz.

OK, but you were asking about bass traps. 2kHz is outside of bass trap territory. You'll need to add regular HF absorbers or diffusors for that.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, but you were asking about bass traps. 2kHz is outside of bass trap territory. You'll need to add regular HF absorbers or diffusors for that.

that's not really how it works. porous absorbers absorb all frequencies till their thickness is equal to 1/4 wavelength, once their thickness is less than 1/4 wavelength the absorption rolls off.

range limited bass traps usually have a reflective surface or a diffusion plate in front, that's why they don't absorb too much high frequencies.

However, I don't like that idea because I don't want to add coloration into my off-axis response, the way range limited bass traps absorb the entire range is not consistent.

1625668720089.png

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like SBIR effect is just below 200Hz, but smoothing makes it hard to see conclusively. Can you show a drawing of room layout or a picture?

That 1K cancellation may just be cancellation from measuring both speakers at the same time or layout related. That is what I'd look at.

these measurements were not taken at the listening position, if you want to analyze the hell that is my living room then here you go. Luckily my sub-bass area is always smooth because I run multi-subs.

1625669369554.png

Speaker boundary (slightly managed with basotect for now)

1625669579916.png

Listener boundary-ish since our heads keep moving ofcourse.

1625669725532.png

Top Bottom