• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coverage of 2017 New York Audio Show

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No, I did not bother to go. The NY audio show is a very small venture which I think attracts the local crowd of audiophiles. Just read a nice write-up of it on PC World: https://www.pcworld.com/article/323...-to-the-outrageous-long-live-great-audio.html

Even small audio shows can't escape the excesses of this hobby. To wit, Orinda Acoustics was showing these $238,000 speakers:

img_0312-100741778-large.jpg

Looks like they could seriously use better industrial designers.

ivanj

Is the NY Audio Show worth exhibiting at for a dealer/distributor?

ivanj

If you are local to them, maybe. In general though, these are tiny regional shows and not in the same scale as RMAF, AXPONA, etc.
I did not see any press coverage except in your link. Was there any other?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Is the NY Audio Show worth exhibiting at for a dealer/distributor?
If you are local to them, maybe. In general though, these are tiny regional shows and not in the same scale as RMAF, AXPONA, etc.
I'm a bit surprised a NYC audio show isn't considered a major show?
NY has always seemed a center for the High End with a large finan$ial base to support the costlier pieces.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
NY has always seemed a center for the High End with a large finan$ial base to support the costlier pieces.
Well, it is competing with national shows so can't attract many companies to come and exhibit. In the past when I have looked at it, it was mostly local dealers (handful) and a few companies. The locale was a problem too in the past being a remote area for people to commute to.

Same issue exists for all the local/city shows like Capital Audio show in Washington DC. Some others like Vancouver, CA went bust.

Candlesticks

Another perspective from a head mounted GoPro. Microphone is the Superlux S502.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
However it is "considered," it is really small potatoes. IMHO, it lacks size and depth.
Sure but the local retailers that sell to that base do not support the show and that has huge effect on the manufacturers.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What do you guys think of this kind of format?

Stereos set up in gutted hotel rooms?

There's something a little odd about it, to me.

Earlier I imagined them taking over an IKEA (for lack of a reference to another venue that more closely imitates life).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What do you guys think of this kind of format?
I find it very boring, if I was going to watch a video on something I'd like some direction on what it's about or going on, I'm watching to learn something.
Also it's a bit unsettling to me, not sure why. Like being in a room but not allowed to join in on any conversation. Hard to explain but not something I'd watch for more than a minute or so.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I find it very boring, if I was going to watch a video on something I'd like some direction on what it's about or going on, I'm watching to learn something.
Also it's a bit unsettling to me, not sure why. Like being in a room but not allowed to join in on any conversation. Hard to explain but not something I'd watch for more than a minute or so.
My feelings exactly. I only watched a minute or two of that video and jumped around.

I keep thinking that video should play a role in my coverage of shows but have not yet figured out something that is not a ton of work to do.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Look, this xyz is a great product because it was shown at 'you name it' audio show. Hollow rooms and carefully selected program material and finely crafted spiel. Hey, it is not in your space and not matched to your system.

Life wasn't meant to be easy. ;)

Top Bottom