• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cover me I'm going in! - Post your favorite song covers.

OP
digicidal

digicidal

Major Contributor
@Canuck57 - Obviously 99% of music historians and the press disagree with my opinion... but literally anyone covering Dylan is far superior to Dylan himself. Thanks for another two confirmations of this. ;)

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Canuck57 - Obviously 99% of music historians and the press disagree with my opinion... but literally anyone covering Dylan is far superior to Dylan himself. Thanks for another two confirmations of this. ;)

Include me in the 99% category. o_O

Canuck57

Forum Donor
CSN&Y - Joni Mitchell's Woodstock

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Cover of American Woman by The Guess Who (best version is Guess Who - Live at The Paramount)

Robin L

Master Contributor
I dunno
Anyway, here's the Zimmster covering Robert Johnson, rather admirably:

OP
digicidal

digicidal

Major Contributor
I dunno
Anyway, here's the Zimmster covering Robert Johnson, rather admirably
The selection of material is admirable at least. ;) Honestly it's just one of those weird things with subjective taste... I'll give him 5/5 stars any day of the week when it comes to songwriting, musical ability, etc... but even with that cover - I couldn't make it through a full minute. Had to perform an "ear wash" with some of the original.

While we're on the topic of Robert Johnson....

And to add some "grass" to those blues... a Doors cover by one of the more interesting bands to come out of this decade IMO:

Robin L

Master Contributor
The selection of material is admirable at least. ;) Honestly it's just one of those weird things with subjective taste... I'll give him 5/5 stars any day of the week when it comes to songwriting, musical ability, etc... but even with that cover - I couldn't make it through a full minute. Had to perform an "ear wash" with some of the original.

While we're on the topic of Robert Johnson....

And to add some "grass" to those blues... a Doors cover by one of the more interesting bands to come out of this decade IMO:
This oughta clean your ears out:

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I still think covers are very hard to do right and can't stand 90% of what has been listed here. I think that people switch to covers as they get old and they become to brittle for new stuff and just want their old, familiar songs in new clothes. (Joe Cocker, I hear you ask... Death sentence. :) )

One of the rare few that did it for me:

Pegwill

All along the watch tower -Cover version by the Alan Bown- came out just as Hendrix brought out his version which of course is the most widely known version of the Bob Dylan classic

earlevel

Tried to resist the bait, but...mostly true, offhand I'd say Knockin' On Heaven's Door is a black swan disproving "literally anyone" (sorry, can't reconcile a screaming Axel Rose and the "weary man" lyrics). Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower is perhaps the greatest, but Manfred Mann made a living off Dylan too, even beating him to an album and chart topper with Mighty Quinn. But I'll submit a different Mann-covers-Dylan, because I related to this one better than Quinn. Mann's a clever arranger to turn a minute-and-a-half Dylan ditty into a ten-minute prog masterpiece—the intro itself is a minute and a half:

The original:

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Duke Ellington covers Tchaikovsky:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Van Morrison covers Bob Dylan:

Top Bottom