• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cover me I'm going in! - Post your favorite song covers.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'm a soppy old git, so love the Bryan Ferry version of Jealous Guy.

Likewise, this rendition of God Only Knows always brings a tear to my eye (the entire album Left Hand Talking has moments of utter emotion-ringing beauty which always played well to me. There are vids on Youtube showing how this recording was put together...

Last edited:

oceansize

Forum Donor
I'm a soppy old git, so love the Bryan Ferry version of Jealous Guy.

Likewise, this rendition of God Only Knows always brings a tear to my eye (the entire album Left Hand Talking has moments of utter emotion-ringing beauty which always played well to me. There are vids on Youtube showing how this recording was put together...

I hadn't heard Judie Tzuke for years. My friend Nigel was a massive fan and played her stuff often, but he died at a ridiculously young age and I'd not listened to her again before now.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So... we saw the Cowboy Junkies last Tuesday at the nearby Lebanon (NH) Opera House.
I -- ahem -- know there's a faction here at ASR that, umm, ain't big Junkies fans... but I am.
They have an album of covers out now.
Many years back, I heard them close a show with a phenomenal version of Neil Young's Don't Let it Bring You Down (and the new album contains a version thereof).
Tuesday night, they did a good, not great rendition of that, but also an incandescent version of the Rolling Stones No Expectations.

The album version's on YT:

oceansize

Forum Donor
Came across the Al Kooper/Steven Stills version of Donovan's "Season Of The Witch" in the 70s thread earlier and was reminded that Richard Thompson had done an absolutely scorching version that was wasted on the soundtrack to a TV show (Crossing Jordan)

oceansize

Forum Donor
So... we saw the Cowboy Junkies last Tuesday at the nearby Lebanon (NH) Opera House.
I -- ahem -- know there's a faction here at ASR that, umm, ain't big Junkies fans... but I am.
They have an album of covers out now.
Many years back, I heard them close a show with a phenomenal version of Neil Young's Don't Let it Bring You Down (and the new album contains a version thereof).
Tuesday night, they did a good, not great rendition of that, but also an incandescent version of the Rolling Stones No Expectations.

The album version's on YT:

Thanks for that - I'm going to have to check the album out.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Came across the Al Kooper/Steven Stills version of Donovan's "Season Of The Witch" in the 70s thread earlier and was reminded that Richard Thompson had done an absolutely scorching version that was wasted on the soundtrack to a TV show (Crossing Jordan)

And thanks for that -- heck, I like Donovan's version... and I loves me some RT!

OP
digicidal

digicidal

Major Contributor
I'm definitely not a Donovan fan (to say the least), but like Bob Dylan - the writing is there... it's just waiting for a cover to become what it should be. This is a great one!

OP
digicidal

digicidal

Major Contributor
Been awhile, so lets throw some covers that make pop songs actually not suck as much as the originals (in some cases only slightly... sorry). The 80's and 90's committed some horrible musical crimes - but college music sticks with ya, so I'm stuck with it. ;)

Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me Round":

Depeche Mode's "Strangelove":

And another from Depeche Mode "Enjoy the Silence":

And (since I want and excuse for a bit more Lacuna Coil), REM's "Losing My Religion":

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, Luther Vandross was the the king of covers. Once Luther did the cover, he owned the song! My favorite was “A House is Not a Home”.

kevinh

Allison Krauss covering S Winwood's "Can't find my way home with Union Station:

Bonnie Raitt covering the same song with Lowell George playing, from 70's live radio broadcast:

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For me, Luther Vandross was the the king of covers. Once Luther did the cover, he owned the song! My favorite was “A House is Not a Home”.

The same can be said of the Isley Brothers.

oceansize

Forum Donor
Laibach are always good value for cover versions. Their version of Queen's "One Vision", translated to German, is suitably terrifying

And as part of an art collective, they often feature exceptional videos - this one for their cover of the Stones' "Sympathy For The Devil" is excellent.

OP
digicidal

digicidal

Major Contributor
Ah Laibach... it's been far too long since I ventured into that part of my collection. Thanks @oceansize - you made me revisit some old favs (took awhile to find it but I listened to all of Let It Be as a result of seeing your post - a month later apparently). :D

I think I posted it some many pages ago... but had to do it again:

Although thinking back to when I originally bought that CD in college made me feel so f'kin old - I can't believe that was over 30 years ago. :oops:

OP
digicidal

digicidal

Major Contributor
Honestly, there's almost nothing that could get me to listen to this song and enjoy it again... however, Mastodon covering it as a memorial to a close friend did the trick. Although I can't think of anything Mastodon has ever done that didn't give me goosebumps in one way or another.

OP
digicidal

digicidal

Major Contributor
While I'm at it... why not make it a two-fer? Mastodon covering Thin Lizzy:

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about something a bit mellow and sooooothing

Top Bottom