• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cover me I'm going in! - Post your favorite song covers.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet - Jeff Buckley's incredible cover of Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
OK, very late to this party.
Tried to skim the previous 11 pages, but that was goin' slow... so I'll apologize right here and now for any redundancy.
Here're a few faves, off the top of my head.

Manfred Mann did some nice ones (and not just Bruce Stringbean's Blinded by the Light).

Little Bobby Zimmerman

Randy Newman

another fine cover of that same Newman song by Harry Nilsson

and perhaps Nilsson's best known cover (with the possible exception of Fred Neil's Everybody's Talkin')

coupla others, from one of my very favorite artists

Couple-three more that I really like

Speaking of Sweet ;) Judy Blue Eyes...
Does this count as a cover? ;)

https://youtu.be/AtteRD5bBNQ

I may foist more upon all y'all... that's a good start :rolleyes:

wje

Forum Donor
While there are many covers that I enjoy, it may result in me clogging up this thread to post all of them. However, I've noticed on Amazon HD music, when I search for "Acoustic Covers" that have about 9 or 10 separate play lists of cover songs, all done acoustically. Even some surprises out there like Boston's "More than a Feeling". I find the music quite enjoyable, while listening at night and trying to wind down a bit from the workday. As far as covers that are present on You Tube, I've enjoyed the cover songs performed by the UK band "Passenger".

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
couple more that popped into my head whilst prepping teatime snackies for Mrs. H and me:

so... here's one of Zimmy's ;) songs that's been widely (and well) covered. FWIW, I like this one, by Van Morrison's first(?) band, Them

While I quite like the original version of this one, the Dead often did a nice job with it, too

TimF

Forum Donor
One of my favorites of all time and its a master performance, it is Lonnie Donegan singing Wreck of the Old 97. What drive that song has. You can hear him sing it on youtube.

TimF

Forum Donor
I highly recommend the recording of No More Corn on the Brasos (1971) by the Danish group The Walkers. You'd never suspect they were a Danish group.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
oh, speaking of the Dead and Mr. Zimmerman...

or, if you prefer it a bit twangier...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

We saw Suzzy at a tiny club in Wisconsin a couple years ago, playing duets with her daughter, Lucy Wainwright. Great show and I got to spend some time chatting with them afterwards.

On a completely different note...

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thea Gilmore covering the entire John Wesley Harding album. Wonderful.
I've always thought Dylan's songs are brilliant, but are better done by anybody other than Dylan.

MI0003190086.jpg

OP
digicidal

digicidal

Major Contributor
I've always thought Dylan's songs are brilliant, but are better done by anybody other than Dylan.
This. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I can't really think of a truly bad Dylan cover, but about 15 seconds of any song performed by him and I'm seriously contemplating suicide just to escape the pain. Although I haven't heard any that I can think of, I'd guess I'd like any cover of a James Taylor song as well... certainly better than the original - though I can tolerate nearly 45 seconds of him before going over the cliff. Never made it through a whole song however. :eek:

OP
digicidal

digicidal

Major Contributor
October is almost here... so how about some goth/death/black covers of classic or pop songs? There's many but here's a few to start. :cool:

Top Bottom