• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Couple of questions concerning sub/fronts delay and a high shelf cut

holbob

I've been using eq with a umik1, rew, adi2 and software (moode audio/eapo). Recently I changed to a Minidsp 2x4 HD for the lot. I measure for delays and add them before applying room correction eq. I then recheck for delays (which have changed), and update. This changes the response considerably, losing a lot of bass, making the narrow dip I had into a huge shallow gap. This is measured with an acoustic reference and the alignment tool. Is there an accepted practice for doing this (everything I've read suggests I'm doing it right), or do I have to accept the response change for having no delay, even if the change is worse. Remeasuring with an acoustic reference after the final delay change, confirms they are all in sync without any delays.

The other thing concerns using a high shelf cut for the high frequencies after the 200-500hz suckout that most bookshelf speakers have (including mine). This gets these frequencies "below" the suckout, using a wide q and very little cut db. Keeps the natural response of the speakers throughout, just lower. Is this still frowned upon in the same way as other cuts are below 600hz and will sound processed in the same way?

ebslo

Forum Donor
Yes, the eq filters muck up the phase relation between channels. There are various complex ways to handle this rigorously, but I was able to get a decent result simply by applying the same eq filter set to all channels (including sub), so that the phase relation stays the same at all frequencies. I just set the crossovers, set the sub level and phase by one of the usual methods, then measure overall response with all channels enabled and generate the single eq filter set from that.

Top Bottom