• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Counter-Placebo Effect?

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hahaha. Yes, once or twice I've asked sound difference deniers whether, when they listen to equipment that is know to them, (not blind), do they ever hear differences.
  • If the do, to which of their own biases do they ascribe the difference?
  • If they do not, have they considered that their bias against hearing difference is the reason they do not?

Last edited:

Propheticus

Love how meta this forum gets sometimes...
The second option above sounds like a "nocebo" effect. Negative expectations causing an actual negative effect.

Edit: of course let's first establish there is a significant enough / audible differences before you start looking for other reasons why none are observed. Maybe there simply are none.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hahaha. Yes, once of twice I've asked sound difference deniers whether, when they listen to equipment that is know to them, (not blind), do they ever hear differences.
  • If the do, to which of their own biases do they ascribe the difference?
  • If they do not, have they considered that their bias against hearing difference is the reason they do not?
Sound difference denier? That seems like an incredibly dishonest characterization, but hey, you do you.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the "audiophile' context, not generally, only here this forum maybe. Not generally because the general "audiophile"/whatever context is basically same as general population.

Biases [and prejudices] are not the same things as placebo effect.

But isn't the placebo effect a result of expectation bias? So yes. Not the same, but the cause.

Maybe it's better to talk in terms of expectation bias, rather than placebo effects, as it's the causes that we are generally interested in. Not describing the character of the result.

That being said, how do we know when the effect is placebo vs. nocebo? In other words, I think the assumption is that the difference between two things where A sounds better than B implies A involves a placebo effect. But could it not be the opposite? The perception of B is a nocebo effect.

Or heck, couldn't it be some of both?

OP
Newman

Newman

Major Contributor
I don’t think it changes the thread’s main topic, which is not causes, but effects.

Specifically, do we still suffer the effect, even when we know it’s impossible for it to be in the sound waves?

And if so, what are the ramifications of this, assuming we individually want the best listening experiences we can get?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don’t think it changes the thread’s main topic, which is not causes, but effects.

Specifically, do we still suffer the effect, even when we know it’s impossible for it to be in the sound waves?

And if so, what are the ramifications of this, assuming we individually want the best listening experiences we can get?
Yes. It means that any claim by any human needs to be evaluated by objective evidence, whether measurement or controlled listening. No one is immune.

Pennyless Audiophile

The objectionable part is when one does find 'improvements' and writes 'serious' articles about it that will fool readers (or YT watchers) into thinking the effect is real and they are missing out and invest money they can put to better use.
So spreading factual misinformation is a no-no to me even when you feel it helps for you.

I think you put it nicely. The musical reproduction experience is more than a pure auditory sensation and there is no point in denying it. What you will experience will depend from a lot of factors and the equipment actual sound performance is just one of them.
The problem are the false or enormously inflated claims that generate scams (despite they may not be punished by the law).
The day a cable manufacturer will say on marketing material "our $3000/metre cable won't affect, of just very marginally affect, the sonic performance of your systems but it will look great and it will never burn/pop/rust/break/unplug" it will be a great day.

Foulchet

What is sure is that when the brain is in an analytical mode, pleasure declines, there is no room for it. That is why when you hear radio, even if the sound is crappy, you just hear the music because your expect nothing from it.

OP
Newman

Newman

Major Contributor
@Pennyless Audiophile : “The musical reproduction experience is more than a pure auditory sensation and there is no point in denying it. What you will experience will depend from a lot of factors and the equipment actual sound performance is just one of them.”

Could you mention a few of the others that you have in mind, please?

OP
Newman

Newman

Major Contributor
@Foulchet : “What is sure is that when the brain is in an analytical mode, pleasure declines, there is no room for it. That is why when you hear radio, even if the sound is crappy, you just hear the music because your expect nothing from it.

Can you expand on how your comment fits with the topic of the thread, please?

Pennyless Audiophile

@Pennyless Audiophile : “The musical reproduction experience is more than a pure auditory sensation and there is no point in denying it. What you will experience will depend from a lot of factors and the equipment actual sound performance is just one of them.”

Could you mention a few of the others that you have in mind, please?

Type of listening (exclusive, background, distracted, focused...)
The Recording (is it a live recording in a real room, an artificially assembled performance of artists, electronic music, how much detail is present )
Mixing and Mastering (are instruments well separated or amalgamated, how is the stereo separation?, is it loud at 0dB or is rich of dynamics)
The room in terms of acoustic (self explanatory)
The room in terms of comfort ( are you sitting comfortably, is it a place where it is nice to stay, does it look good - including the equipment)
Mental state (relaxed, tense, concerned, distracted, interested...)
Physical state (tired, alert, aching ... or great)
General attitude (Do you tend to chase things or run away, do you see glasses half full or half empty, are you visual, auditory, Kinestesic)
Cultural level (Do you understand: why and how there is music of that kind, coming from that country, from that time, how does it fit with the rest of the cultural environment)
Musical knowledge, in general (can you tell the key? The chords? Can you tell the notes from one another?)
Musical knowledge of the specific music being listened (Do you know the story of the author and the interpreters? The story of a specific song?)

All of this conjure to produce the listening experience. Honestly, I would say that the equipment is a rather small part.
I would also add that the factors are not additive, they are multiplicative. A crap mastering cannot be compensated by a great musical knowledge, everything must be balanced to have a satisfactory experience.

egellings

Major Contributor
Placebo effect is belief driven. Double blind testing shows that. However, because the effect is belief driven, exposure to objective measurement results won't change the believer's mind, because, well, it's a belief, and beliefs, like religions, tend to be cast in stone.

Sharur

Placebo effect is belief driven. Double blind testing shows that. However, because the effect is belief driven, exposure to objective measurement results won't change the believer's mind, because, well, it's a belief, and beliefs, like religions, tend to be cast in stone.
If I think two components sound different sighted, but can't tell the difference blind, I stop thinking they sound different.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I compared some DACs a few weeks back, sighted. I heard small differences.

Since the DACs (all tested here) measure perfect within the audible limits I assume that the differences were not real. Even if they were real they were not significant enough to worry about.

As long as nothing about the sound is bugging me I prefer to forget about the equipment and enjoy the music. Which is supposed to be the whole point of the exercise. Although I do admit to being slightly curious as to whether I could tell them apart blind I don't consider that it's worth the bother of arranging the test. If the differences had been significant then I probably would.

Top Bottom