• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Could you use the SMSL A300 for passive subwoofers 4Ohm load?

HighFutility

I was looking for an inexpensive amp to test DIY subwoofer builds. I came across the A300, which could power two small subs with 180W or one sub Briged at ~330W at 4 Ohm loads. The cost for the unit is 250$. I could pick up two units and run them as monoblocks since I have a mini DSP HD. This would be cheaper than buying a crown amp and offer similar or even more power in some cases. Can the high pass frequencies be overridden? Looking at the A300 thread on the forums looks like a nightmare. The manual and level of support seem to be somewhat broken. In any case, I figured I wouldn't have to use the master/slave configuration since the subs will be placed on opposite sides of the room, so I could run them independently and set the volume separately.

What am I missing?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The power specs that are given for this amp are inflated. I think they are 10% distortion numbers. I think the 1% distortion BTL power spec is around 200W into 4R. There is a low pass filter option for the sub output but I don't think there is a way for the device to low-pass filter what goes to the power amplifier.

OP
H

HighFutility

The power specs that are given for this amp are inflated. I think they are 10% distortion numbers. I think the 1% distortion BTL power spec is around 200W into 4R. There is a low pass filter option for the sub output but I don't think there is a way for the device to low-pass filter what goes to the power amplifier.
This is my biggest gripe. All the specs on 90% of units are inflated. Im just looking for an affordable unit to test my DIY units. I really only need 250W at 4ohm. I saw someone post that they were using the AIYIMA 07. Amir's test showed this unit could only output 70W even though all the advertising shows stupid numbers like 300W.

So far, I have found.

Fosi: https://www.amazon.ca/Subwoofer-Aud...d=1675370706&sprefix=mono+amp,aps,147&sr=8-10

Nobsound g2 pro: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08D6G9CB7/ref=emc_b_5_t

Then I came across SMSL A300. Between 180W and 200W from the monoblocks, I figure the A300 could power two subs at 180W. It just seemed like the better option, and no external power supply, and one volume control. Or I could bridge the amp and get ~300W or thereabouts.

I was also browsing Ice amp modules and cases from Ghent audio. The only issue is that I would like a volume control to match my subs when permanently setting them up.
I have a mini DSP HD; I could also lower the volume there.

Crown XLS 1002 -15002 was my initial thought, but then I started juggling between ice amps modules and went back and forth. Until I pull the trigger, I would like a cheap amp to work with. A300 seemed to do everything I wanted at an attractive price point of 250$.

OP
H

HighFutility

I would also like the same, but getting pure 300W is not very cheap... ;)
I am aware however companies could stop advertising ridiculous specs. If the A300 is advertising ~320W for 250$ that is very cheap!

Sokel

Master Contributor
Slap it in an allu case (to help heat even more) ,add connectors and you're done:

Reliable power don't comes cheap.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ice ice baby! Hypex UcD amps are a good choice, too.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is my biggest gripe. All the specs on 90% of units are inflated. Im just looking for an affordable unit to test my DIY units. I really only need 250W at 4ohm. I saw someone post that they were using the AIYIMA 07. Amir's test showed this unit could only output 70W even though all the advertising shows stupid numbers like 300W.
When you say 90% of units have inflated specs, are you including the plate amps like those on Parts Express? I would think the Dayton and BASH amp specs would be pretty much legit. Is that not true?

Top Bottom