• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Could this be the ultimate AV processor set up?

gags11

Forum Donor
Amir’s recent measurements have shown that most AV processors suck sonically, in terms of noise and distortion. I was thinking of ways one can separate the sound decoding/processing from the DAC itself.

I came across the Storm Audio ISP 3D.32 ELITE | Digital AES Edition preamp/processor. This unit does all the Dolby and DTS processing, uses Dirac live for room correction, and provides 16-32 channels of AES digital outputs.

https://www.stormaudio.com/en/produ.../7815-isp-3d32-elite-digital-aes-edition.html

This processor can be combined with 2 Okto Research DAC8 Pro units via digital AES outputs. Wouldn’t this eliminate all the DAC implementation issues in the processor? This should result in superb audio reproduction with Okto’s 118db SINAD.

An obvious barrier is the price, of course. The Storm Audio unit costs around $20,000. However, if money were not an issue, this could be the ultimate setup, wouldn’t it?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This processor can be combined with 2 Okto Research DAC8 Pro units via digital AES outputs. Wouldn’t this eliminate all the DAC implementation issues in the processor? This should result in superb audio reproduction with Okto’s 118db SINAD.

With many powered monitors with digital in, you could skip the dual Okto as well...but that is indeed pricey...

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With many powered monitors with digital in, you could skip the dual Okto as well...but that is indeed pricey...

The dream is indeed a set of Genelec 8351B fronts with W371A woofers, a 7382A subwoofer, and 8341A surrounds and heights fed by a Dante network :)

raif71

Major Contributor
Don't worry about recent AV poor measurements, sound wise they should be fine but don't take my word for it. Go and have a demo session and decide for yourself. :)

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Don't worry about recent AV poor measurements, sound wise they should be fine but don't take my word for it. Go and have a demo session and decide for yourself. :)

Haha, I agree with you. I have a Yamaha CX-A5100 processor and am very happy with it. Not sure if I would be able to hear any real improvement in sound with the above set up. My gut tells me no, I won’t perceive a difference.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Sure, but the JBL SDP-55 is a much cheaper way to accomplish it.

I didn’t think the JBL SDP-55 had digital outputs. I may be wrong. The JBL SDP-75 has them, but is very expensive as well.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn’t think the JBL SDP-55 had digital outputs. I may be wrong. The JBL SDP-75 has them, but is very expensive as well.

It does have them. It has Dante network capability, you can route any of the outputs over that network. Which is actually much better than regular digital outputs as it's convenient to send 16 channels over cat6.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Modifying a regular AVR adding digital outputs could be done for less than $50 in parts.

Really, circumventing the DAC? Please share some thoughts on how. I would really like to do this with my current Yamaha processor.

mansr

Major Contributor
Really, circumventing the DAC? Please share some thoughts on how. I would really like to do this with my current Yamaha processor.
Tap the I2S signals and feed them into a DIT4192 per channel pair. That chip is very easy to use, needing only a handful of passive components.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
It has a fan. Do we know how loud it is? If it is audible, then you would need to put it in a different room (not an issue for high-end theaters).

Yes, it does have a fan. But in theater rooms with projectors, most of which have fans, like my JVC projector, this would be a non-issue. Projector lamp fan noise can be an annoying thing.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, it does have a fan. But in theater rooms with projectors, most of which have fans, like my JVC projector, this would be a non-issue. Projector lamp fan noise can be an annoying thing.
Well, in high-end installs, we hide that projector as well in its own "booth."

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Tap the I2S signals and feed them into a DIT4192 per channel pair. That chip is very easy to use, needing only a handful of passive components.

Hmm... Not sure how easy this would be. Sounds like a trivial thing for engineers that know the circuits well. I guess with some research, which I am going to do l, this can be possible to do for someone like me.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Well, in high-end installs, we hide that projector as well in its own "booth."

Lol, my theater is all DIY from ground up, and no high end by any means. The Projector is hanging from the ceiling in a 30x35’ room. I can get some faint fan noise from the projector at silence, but not an issue when watching movies.

DD4A1B56-2BA2-4B63-A313-A995041B771C.jpeg

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
BTY, if Amir is up to it, I would send my Yamaha CX-A5100 processor to be measured. No high hopes though, I think it will be on par with recent Marantz measurements.

HLee

Systemic volume control may be difficult
Or more bits are needed for digital volume control (more than 32bits maybe)

Top Bottom