• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Could this be the ultimate AV processor set up?

rhollan

Well, if you'd be happy with 7.1 48 kHz digital audio you can do what I did: take the "audio" HDMI PCM feed from a 4k bluray player into an SDI02 to get SDI, then an AES/EBU SDI deembedder (Blackmagic, or better AJA), a minidsp DDRC-88D for bass management and Dirac Live (and digital volume control if you accept the resolution loss from 24 bit audio) into your DAC of choice. I use an old Lucid 8824 (85dB SINAD) (and two minidsp nanoAVRs instead of one DDRC-88D) but could have just as well used an Okto DAC8 for 118 dB SINAD (and analog volume control -- it's on my list).

Downsides? 48 kHz. Period. And no immersive formats: 7.1 is as best as you can get.

I've been looking for Atmos processors as good and am considering the Audio control X9 and JBL Synthesis SDP-55 (Dante, yay!) but problems with the latter and a lack if reviews of either leave me hanging. I've thought of a Rube Goldberg contraption with a $4k processor just for the Atmos channels but that would require coordination of levels, delays, and decoding of the base Dolby or DTS 7.1 tracks. The X9 at $9600 starts to look cheap (with claimed 100 dB SINAD figures). But: no reviews.

rhollan

I have an Stormaudio ISP and it is very quiet. I'll need to check how close I have to be to hear it, but can say when sitting at the desk beside it I don't notice any fan noise.

I currently have just the analog Outputs (which don't measure particularly high based on Marc's measurements), but I have the AES/EBU Digital Out module on order and should be receiving it in a few weeks.

I'll be connecting it to a QSC Q-Sys system so don't expect measurements to necessarily improve but will give me much more flexibility routing sound around the house.
How much does the AES digital output module cost and can it output variable level volume or does that have to be controlled downstream? (The ISP Mk2 does not make this clear). I presume it can be added to a 3D.16?

apgood

How much does the AES digital output module cost and can it output variable level volume or does that have to be controlled downstream? (The ISP Mk2 does not make this clear). I presume it can be added to a 3D.16?
Yes, can be added to a 3D.16 and turns it into 3D.32 without the extra analogue outputs. Can't really remember now but think on my ISP MK1 the AES Digital output module cost about HKD$20,000. For comparison the MK1 to MK1.5 upgrade quote I got from same reseller was HKD$28,000.
Volume can still be controlled via the ISP for the digital outs.

rhollan

Yes, can be added to a 3D.16 and turns it into 3D.32 without the extra analogue outputs. Can't really remember now but think on my ISP MK1 the AES Digital output module cost about HKD$20,000. For comparison the MK1 to MK1.5 upgrade quote I got from same reseller was HKD$28,000.
Volume can still be controlled via the ISP for the digital outs.
So, about US$2600.

$13k for the processor, and $2600 for AES output starts to sound interesting. I presume the AES output is 24 bit at least 48 kHz even if the HDMI input is HDCP protected?

See, I currently have 7.1 LPCM over HDMI going to an HDMI to SDI SDI02 converter, and then deembedding four sets of AES outputs, to drive a Dirac Live processing system, and then some DACs and amps. That way, I can use something like Okto DACs and Benchmark amps for main channels. But I want Atmos. Most Atmos pre/pros are junk, sonically.

Btw, do you have THD or SINAD specs for the analog outputs of the 3D.16? I can't find them anywhere.

apgood

So, about US$2600.

$13k for the processor, and $2600 for AES output starts to sound interesting. I presume the AES output is 24 bit at least 48 kHz even if the HDMI input is HDCP protected?

See, I currently have 7.1 LPCM over HDMI going to an HDMI to SDI SDI02 converter, and then deembedding four sets of AES outputs, to drive a Dirac Live processing system, and then some DACs and amps. That way, I can use something like Okto DACs and Benchmark amps for main channels. But I want Atmos. Most Atmos pre/pros are junk, sonically.

Btw, do you have THD or SINAD specs for the analog outputs of the 3D.16? I can't find them anywhere.

I never asked about the AES output bit depth,but won't be more than 24bit 48Hz for sure.

There was a guy Marc Alexander that mentioned measuring them, but don't think he ever posted them. Based on the comments he made I believe the StirmAudio & Trinnov THD or SINAD are roughly the same.

Andysu

Major Contributor
If you are dropping that kinda of $$$ probably should be looking at Datasat and Trinnov processors as well.
i think changing my mind can always get money back i appoint you as ASR counsellor
what about yourself lets see some pictures of your set up

danzilla31

Forum Donor
Top Bottom