• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Layanti

Hello everyone.

I have been looking for semi good speakers/monitors for my desk and I have problem with choosing with would be be the best for me.

The main problem is the size. I have a bit of space on my desk but I can't put 8 inch monitors on it, so size matters for me.

Mosly I narrowed it down, to those speakers:

• M-audio BX5 D3
  • Mackie CR5-X
  • iLoud Micro
The BX5 are pretty much on the limit of how big, could be. Also I listened to them in shop and I was pretty happy with how they sound but they lacked something...maybe I'm used to more warm sounds with a tiny bit more bass(probably I could "fix it" with EQ). I heard that CR5-X sound more like multimedia speakers, but I couldnt test them and also I was considering Edifier MR4, but I assumed that they won't be as good as the others, but maybe I'm wrong.

I mostly would be using it for multimedia listening first and mixing second (mostly because Im just starting with mixing and I wanted at least somewhat ok speakers to start).

Speakes will be near to me and close to the wall with maybe 20-30cm space between them and the wall. They will be without a sub and I will buy Motu M4 for the speakers.

Im open for any suggestions for different speakers that are around $200, also I will answer any questions, but Im pretty green in any technical stuff.

Thank you for any help in advance

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Speakers are very much a "personal choice".

The main problem is the size. I have a bit of space on my desk but I can't put 8 inch monitors on it, so size matters for me.
Can you hang them above the desk, pointing-down at you? (In my living room my large rear speakers hanging on the wall above my couch are supposed to be floor-standing speakers.)

Another fix for small speakers is a subwoofer on the floor. The setup in my home office isn't "hi-fi" but it's a 2.1 system with small 2-way speakers on the desk plus a woofer on the floor under the desk. (It's not a true subwoofer, and probably a 6-inch driver.)

OP
L

Layanti

Speakers are very much a "personal choice".
I know, but like in tech relted stuff you can tell if something is worth the money or not, so I know in audio is harder to compare it because as you said its personal choce, but even in tests you could say "oh this speaker have this and that, that makes it worse than others"

I cant hang them unfortunately, also I may consider buying a sub if monitors wont give me enough of bass (BX5 have almost enough bass for me tho, but it lacks a little bit of punch, so thats why idk if sub would be worth it).

Erici

Forum Donor
If you plan to mix with the speakers, I think the Kali LP6 v2 would be a better choice.

Conclusions from Amir
The Kali LP-6 despite its ridiculously low price produced excellent performance. Had it not had so much distortion and a couple of response issues, I would have given it my highest ratings. This is a wonderfully designed monitor which is going to perform better than any passive speaker system you can put together in its price class.

Josq

Kali LP 6 is quite big, not really desktop size I think? Adam T5V is smaller and best in class.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/adam-t5v-review-studio-monitor.18122/

Personally I have Genelec 8020, which is more expensive, but I would recommend it (8010 or 8030 would be OK too, depending on how loud you need to go).

If price doesnt matter, Genelec 8331 is probably the best there is for desktop use.

iLoud micro is very good in principle but does not get loud or deep

If you get small speakers, add a sub.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
M-audio BX5 D3

CEA2034.jpg

Overall, not bad. Can be EQ'd to fix their issues.

• Mackie CR5-X
Here's the smaller brother Mackie CR3-X:
CEA2034.jpg
Just aweful. Stay away. EQ can't fix.

• iLoud Micro

CEA2034.jpg
Not bad for non-critical listening or just normal computer use.
Not for mixing/mastering, since they have nulls which you can't fix with EQ.
But the output is very limited in these, so they won't play very loud.

Ignoring your budget, but if you really need small monitors...I would point you to
IK Multimedia iLoud MTM
CEA2034.jpg
These are very hard to beat for their size.

Last edited:

Sonny1

Bought my son Adam T5V’s and they sound surprisingly good. They also play loud enough and have decent bass. I love the size and build quality is better than I expected. They are also very quiet. The Kali LP6 is also very nice but too big for his desktop. This is the golden age of inexpensive active monitors.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have a browse here:

The quality of your mix will be directly impacted by how accurate your playback is.

Dollar for dollar you will be better off with decent headphones than average speakers in my opinion.

Top Bottom