• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Could firmware update alter sound signature of DAC?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Curious, as title said, could manufacturers use firmware update to alter sound signature of DAC? For example, change the filter?

I have always felt that my KTB with old firmware (did not check the version before update, unfortunately) sounded very sharp. However, after firmware update to version 2, I don't feel that it is that sharp anymore.

I do know the firmware update changes the inputs' auto switch behaviour. The manufacturer confirmed here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iontek-khadas-tone-board-dac.4823/post-577981

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
While not impossible it's very unlikely on KTB. When I got mine it sounded sharp but then my brain adjusted and it wasn't so sharp anymore without any updates.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
While not impossible it's very unlikely on KTB. When I got mine it sounded sharp but then my brain adjusted and it wasn't so sharp anymore without any updates.
May I know if you updated firmware to v2 yet?

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
If you haven't updated yet and have multimeter on hand, maybe you could help answer this question with measurements?

I have already done measurements on
KTB with v2 firmware with my multimeter (not accurate due to my multimeter capabilities). If you have older version firmware on KTB, maybe you could help do a few measurements to compare?

My table is at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...topping-e30-listening-tests.17988/post-609611

Thanks!

gvl

Major Contributor
I've updated at some point, nothing jumped out at me as a sonic difference after the update. The ID string changed and I think they fixed issues with high sampling rates and DSD channel reversal.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I've updated at some point, nothing jumped out at me as a sonic difference after the update. The ID string changed and I think they fixed issues with high sampling rates and DSD channel reversal.
May I know where do you get the information of fixes for each revision of firmware?

Did you know about inputs auto switch fix?

gvl

Major Contributor
It was in the KTB thread I think. The input autos switch fix is something that I missed.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
It was in the KTB thread I think. The input autos switch fix is something that I missed.
It seems even the manufacturer who responded to my post in ktb thread was not aware of the fix until he personally checked it after my post. He didn't even know the previous firmware had the problem. I wonder if engineering works were farmed out....

gvl

Major Contributor
What was the issue? Not switching to SPDIF?

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
What was the issue? Not switching to SPDIF?
Yup. When connected to USB via computer, can't auto switched to spdif. See first post for link.

gvl

Major Contributor
Yup. When connected to USB via computer, can't auto switched to spdif. See first post for link.

I see, missed it. I did think KTB was kind of finicky in that regard, but I never had to use both USB and SPDIF at the same time, and when I was using SPDIF I was powering it without actually being connected to computer, so it worked for me even with original f/w.

Top Bottom