• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Could AI improve bad recordings?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JayGilb

Major Contributor

You may also want to read my profile.
It looks like you started out as a "recording engineer" and then went on to get your degrees in electrical and sound engineering, so I stand by my original statement.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like you started out as a "recording engineer" and then went on to get your degrees in electrical and sound engineering, so I stand by my original statement.
How did you arrive to that wrong conclusion reading my bio?

I received by B.Sc. from Imperial College in EE in 1972. I started work at Abbey Road a year after. I do not have a “Sound Engineering” degree.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
I've been following this guy's work on YouTube and Patreon.

Excerpt from the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBCVsVKU4O4
RUSH - Xanadu - Live In Montreal 1981 (2021 HD Remaster 60fps)

219,157 views Mar 5, 2021 Geddy and/or Alex, email me at [email protected] and I will be on the next flight to Ontario to work for you XD Enjoy the unofficially definitive version of Exit Stage Left! Upgraded using state of the art AI tools. The following remastering work was performed on the Replay X-3 DVD version:

1.Deinterlaced + noise & grain 90% removed.
2.Video upscaled to HD using machine learning (Obviously to a limited extent when working with such rough source material).
3. Motion enhanced from 30fps to 60fps for smoothness.
4. Audio re-balanced using the 5.1 DTS soundtrack.
5. Video and audio rendered in 1080p with audio at 512kb/s quality.

A couple years ago it was inconceivable that a video source like this could be improved this much, and with the rate that these AI programs are advancing it is likely we will be able to have 4k re-creations of footage like this in maybe five years.

dorakeg

We have seen lately impressive feats what AI (machine learning, neural nets etc) can do to images, from generating so called 'deep fakes' to improving bad quality images. So I was wondering could this be done to bad recordings with for example low dynamic range?

Thoughts? Definetly not an easy task, but impossible?

Technically it is possible. However, the results may not be what you want.

AI performs very well in terms to making decisions based on predefined rules and with known end result. So, with more and more data, the AI gets better.

What AI can't do is to make subjective "human" choices. Eg. You get AI to perform some changes to the audio, you do it 10 times with 10 different results. Now which one sounds the best? AI won't be able to do that.

However, it's not to say that it's impossible on the future. AI is still in its infancy and there is a lot more to it, esp. in making it think and act more "human", esp. on the feelings part. Assuming mankind still exist a thousand years from now and is progressing, what they have will be vastly different from what we have today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom