• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Could AI improve bad recordings?

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We have seen lately impressive feats what AI (machine learning, neural nets etc) can do to images, from generating so called 'deep fakes' to improving bad quality images. So I was wondering could this be done to bad recordings with for example low dynamic range?

Thoughts? Definetly not an easy task, but impossible?

DKT88

Recording engineers are also artists (or some are) so the philosophical question is when will AI become artistic or accepted as such. There is no answer at this point.

ScienceRaven

I think it would be really easy to denoise it... also would be easy to compare 1920s/ 1950s audio to 2020s CDs and convert one to the other...

The problem is that very few scientists understand high definition audio processing To make libraries that everyone can use to do audio machine learning projects.. There is a wave to vector librand it probably doesn't even use high definition audio.

good audio is 44000x1024 Per second... I think you would only need 4 songs in Adversarial network so that the computer can convert the old to the new one... Whereas image learning projects currently use billions of images...

Analysing 4x 3min songs would be Equivalent to 80k images if we use 2048 freq bands...

It will be much easier to restore voice recordings and I don't think even Google has had the time to do that yet but when someone sets out to do it they should be able to do it very effectively.

I would recommend using wigner transform and not FFT

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Perhaps the most fully realized use of AI can be found in Peter Jackson's new Beatles documentary, Get Back.

They were able to "demix" mono rehearsal recordings in order to create the film soundtrack and also to listen in on conversations thought fully obfuscated by the band until now! The idea isn't new but his budget allowed them to create a better program for it.

He got a lot of flack for a previous documentary in which he colored WWI footage--lots of conference roundtables in film and documentary studies conferences--but here the context is very different.

ScienceRaven

Oh fantastic! I found info on progress of demixing here, theres a AI study of the beatles although its paywalled.
It would be awesome to know how they trained the neural network, academics are all probably running GAN2.
To advance audio ML, you can buy discs of acetate and vynil in very high audio quality, and then scratch them with wool, acids, sand and whatever so they become authentically old, and tell ML to convert old ones to new ones... Trick is devising authentic ageing. Also, to record high-quality audio through 1920s, 60s microphones and demagnetize them... Then ML community has high quality comparative sources to run ML from and the field can perhaps progress a lot.

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Oh fantastic! I found info on progress of demixing here, theres a AI study of the beatles although its paywalled.
It would be awesome to know how they trained the neural network, academics are all probably running GAN2.
To advance audio ML, you can buy discs of acetate and vynil in very high audio quality, and then scratch them with wool, acids, sand and whatever so they become authentically old, and tell ML to convert old ones to new ones... Trick is devising authentic ageing. Also, to record high-quality audio through 1920s, 60s microphones and demagnetize them... Then ML community has high quality comparative sources to run ML from and the field can perhaps progress a lot.
it's a publicity for ML but which ? Martin Logan, Mark Levinson...

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Machine Learning :facepalm:;)
cool! you use the good expression.
when the thing will translate "i am a donkey" or "ape money" correctly we will call artificial intelligence.
and do not forget, this is human who create rules used by the things. if the human don't know how to treat sound failure, the thing can not do.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
if the human don't know how to treat sound failure, the thing can not do.
That's the fun part: that is not always true. If an AI learns to do things, we humans have no idea how it does it. It's basically a back box. Of course, we can guide the learning, and tell it how to look at a problem so it has an easier job, but in the end, you have no idea how it exactly works.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Recording engineers are also artists (or some are) so the philosophical question is when will AI become artistic or accepted as such. There is no answer at this point.
I personally don't consider recording engineers as actual engineers. I believe the term comes from the days when they were called on to repair and design studio equipment.
Larger studios have technicians to repair and maintain equipment, but are not called engineers.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
That's the fun part: that is not always true. If an AI learns to do things, we humans have no idea how it does it. It's basically a back box. Of course, we can guide the learning, and tell it how to look at a problem so it has an easier job, but in the end, you have no idea how it exactly works.
i strongly disagree.

the black box is a fantasy.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I personally don't consider recording engineers as actual engineers. I believe the term comes from the days when they were called on to repair and design studio equipment.
Larger studios have technicians to repair and maintain equipment, but are not called engineers.
they are not but they do like if they was.

KikoKentaurus

Just reminding that we had a guy who tried himself to create this type of AI:

Top Bottom