• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Could acoustic treatment help my room?

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie about room treatment, so I wondered if you might be able to help.

My speakers are Genelec 8040Bs fed from an RME ADI-2 DAC and Mac mini, using Focus Fidelity for room correction.

Subjectively the sound from my Genelecs seems less focused than my previous ATCs, which I've read could be due to the Genelecs' wider dispersion.

Also, there are big nulls which no amount of DSP will fix.

And there's an odd sensation that the sound is pulled to the left, even though it isn't. This might not make a lot of sense.

This is my room:

Floorplan.jpg

It's a classic 19th century London terrace with the sitting room opened into the dining room. Walls are plaster on brick. Domestic harmony dictates that I can't really move the speakers a lot, which is why they're jammed in the corners. They're on shelves, with the tweeters about 150cm from the floor, angled down and toed in so the tweeters point at the listening position.

Huge bass traps won't be tolerated, but panels for diffusion or absorption should be fine - especially if they can be removed and hidden when not in use.

In case helpful, before and (simulated) after plots from Focus Fidelity are below.

Any suggestions really gratefully received.

Thanks,

James

Before:

Before Left.jpg

Before Right.jpg

After:

After.jpg

kiwifi

Ideally rotate LP and speakers 90 degrees clockwise about the center of the room.

Failing that, move sofa away from the wall as far as you are able and add absorbing material to the wall behind the LP. That wall is too close to the LP for diffusers to be effective.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I would recommend treating first reflections from side walls, rear wall behind couch, ceiling area between speakers and it would also be beneficial to treat the reflection area of the front wall.

I would use mostly absorption since these reflections arrive early, perhaps with the exception of the front wall where hybrid diffusion/absorption might be better.

Ideally all treatment should be highly efficient to Schroeder.

A subwoofer is also something I would recommend, but the treatment is the key to better imaging, clarity, localization and it might be more comfortable to listen to.

Beware that most measurements of acoustic products are misleading for small room use with music and can't be trusted.

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
I would recommend treating first reflections from side walls, rear wall behind couch, ceiling area between speakers and it would also be beneficial to treat the reflection area of the front wall.

I would use mostly absorption since these reflections arrive early, perhaps with the exception of the front wall where hybrid diffusion/absorption might be better.

Ideally all treatment should be highly efficient to Schroeder.

A subwoofer is also something I would recommend, but the treatment is the key to better imaging, clarity, localization and it might be more comfortable to listen to.

Beware that most measurements of acoustic products are misleading for small room use with music and can't be trusted.

Thanks for this - all makes good sense. A sub is definitely on the list for the future.

Do you have any recommendations for panel material and thickness? I’m thinking 100mm Rockwool RW5 behind the speakers and behind the sofa, and 50mm everywhere else.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning

This may help

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks for this - all makes good sense. A sub is definitely on the list for the future.

Do you have any recommendations for panel material and thickness? I’m thinking 100mm Rockwool RW5 behind the speakers and behind the sofa, and 50mm everywhere else.
50mm traditional panels are IMO too thin and will function as high frequency shelving/equalizer. Either increase thickness or go with RPG Broadsorbor which absorbs lower with less depth but are somewhat more reflective above 2000 Hz. RPG BAD panel could be a nice option on front wall. They also go lower in frequency compared to traditional absorbers.

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor

This may help

This is great, thanks.

50mm traditional panels are IMO too thin and will function as high frequency shelving/equalizer. Either increase thickness or go with RPG Broadsorbor which absorbs lower with less depth but are somewhat more reflective above 2000 Hz. RPG BAD panel could be a nice option on front wall. They also go lower in frequency compared to traditional absorbers.

These seem perfect, though I’m finding it hard to find UK stockists with the full range of sizes and thicknesses - do you happen to know any?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
This is great, thanks.

These seem perfect, though I’m finding it hard to find UK stockists with the full range of sizes and thicknesses - do you happen to know any?
RPG doesn't stock products but build them on orders. Their website (GRG and RPG Europe is the same) isn't great. Below are the standard sizes and custom sizes can be ordered too.

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Thanks - really appreciated

Top Bottom