• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Couch against wall rear HT speaker suggestions

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
Running speaker wire from front to back in room isn’t an option for me. Nor is running in ceiling. I’m looking into this device, or rather two, for the rear surround and rear heights. This way I can have a power amplifier or powered speakers.

1Mii Wireless Transmitter https://a.co/d/8TpwMku

A few have been measured on ASR. Take a look at this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-proaudio-ifinity-wireless.30216/post-1060133

I already have the SVS Tri-band, which are not too bad. The Dynasty Proaudio WSA-5TR seem the best.

just1n

Forum Donor
I have the same problem that you have. I pulled my couch out about 6" and mounted a pair of very small but quite capable speakers above to the left and right. It works much better than I would have imagined. Aesthetically it works in my room because with my lighting the speakers are mostly in the shadows and not really visible.
I found a console table to put behind the couch so it stays put. Its bottom shelf would ideally hold the transmitter and power amp. Looking for an affordable 4-channel to power the 4 rears/rear heights.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found a console table to put behind the couch so it stays put. Its bottom shelf would ideally hold the transmitter and power amp. Looking for an affordable 4-channel to power the 4 rears/rear heights.
My plan is to build a console like shelf. I can't use a traditional console because I need the floor space for a low profile subwoofer that sits off to the side behind the couch.

Another thing I need is a piece of artwork that has some absorption and diffusion. This has been tricky because it has to meet with approval from the designer-in-chief. She keeps suggesting glass covered paintings or prints which would be a step backwards acoustically.

just1n

Forum Donor
My plan is to build a console like shelf. I can't use a traditional console because I need the floor space for a low profile subwoofer that sits off to the side behind the couch.

Another thing I need is a piece of artwork that has some absorption and diffusion. This has been tricky because it has to meet with approval from the designer-in-chief. She keeps suggesting glass covered paintings or prints which would be a step backwards acoustically.

@sarumbear posted this and I bookmarked as soon as I saw it. Check it out. Very neat idea that could be spouse friendly.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I am aware of those and like them, but that would be too easy... she who must be obeyed does't feel that modern look is in keeping with this room. In her words, "we want real art"... of course that like beauty is rather arbitrary, but I understand her meaning.

Holmz

Major Contributor

I am using a couple of AIYAMA A07 amps. And cables that go from XLR to RCA.
A bit cheap, but it sounds good.

just1n

Forum Donor
I am using a couple of AIYAMA A07 amps. And cables that go from XLR to RCA.
A bit cheap, but it sounds good.
How did you set the volume though? Some of the more affordable option have volume knobs, that’s why I ask.

Holmz

Major Contributor
How did you set the volume though? Some of the more affordable option have volume knobs, that’s why I ask.

I railed the volume knob full clockwise, and the Lyngdorf set pulled it back on the preamp side.
Most amps have 20 -26 dB or gain so theye usually need some tweaking to level them at the listener, and Room Perfect does that.

The good amps without a volume control are always railed to the max :cool:

just1n

Forum Donor
I railed the volume knob full clockwise, and the Lyngdorf set pulled it back on the preamp side.
Most amps have 20 -26 dB or gain so theye usually need some tweaking to level them at the listener, and Room Perfect does that.

The good amps without a volume control are always railed to the max :cool:
Never thought of it like that. I guess I was worried about heat/stress when I shouldn’t have. This opens up the idea to far more amps. There was no way to justify NCore for rears and heights to have something that was small and runs cools.

Thanks for the idea!

Holmz

Major Contributor
Never thought of it like that. I guess I was worried about heat/stress when I shouldn’t have. This opens up the idea to far more amps. There was no way to justify NCore for rears and heights to have something that was small and runs cools.

Thanks for the idea!

Yeah when the Aiyama and Topping both arrived, I assumed I would be sending back the AIYAMA.

But the Topping hissed like a pack of vipers when teh volume was only just loud enough.
The A-07 was kept the Topping went straight back to Amazon.
I don’t even turn them off unless I am going away for a while.

It would be nicer if they were balanced and had a trigger.

Top Bottom