• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Correct way to do EQ hardware vs software (need of KEF KUBE replacemet)

Stretch

Hi guys, this is my first post here. First of all just to say that this site is great as it debunks some of audio myths and even though I dont agree with everything said here it is fun to read real life measurements and reviews of some high priced products made exclusively to take out money without giving us anu real audio value.

Now, to my issue I need help with.... I have KEF R107 speakers ( upgraded T33 to Raal 70-10 ) which use KEF KUBE as EQ to bump up low frequencies . I DON'T have KUBE and would need a replacement. Was looking at Schiit Lokius until I read the review...there are older PEQs but everyone says to stay away from these. I am looking for a DAC too , so integrated solution with digital EQ can be considered.
Basically I need to bump up 20-40hz by 6db or so. I HATE the idea of putting another noise generator in my audio chain but...So...what would be the best solution that would not mess up the signal ?
I see people hate analog EQs and I read that digital EQs mess up soundstage etc...maybe I read wrong but anyway I would like to hear what you think.
Volume control and balanced out would be best case scenario as that way I can live without a preamp but in that case volume control solution would need to be sattisfactory.
My system is
PC or transport for CDs
Audial AYA DAC TDA1541 with E180F tube out( want to replace with something more modern...not replace but would like to have both )
no preamp atm
Mark Levinson 27.5 amp
KEF 107

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Doing EQ in the digital domain is vastly superior. There is no added distortion, and you can set the filter frequency + width however you want. Analogue EQ, like the Schiit Lokius is incredibly limited by comparison and I cannot fathom why anyone would pay $300 for it.

Digital EQ messing up soundstage is some audiophile bullshit. That makes about as much sense as a racing driver saying they were slow due to the phase of the moon.

Using a miniDSP 2x4HD as your DAC + DSP solution works great.

The miniDSP Flex is a bit more expensive, but has a slightly better DAC/ADC, Dirac Live support, and includes a remote for changing volume + EQ preset.

OP
S

Stretch

Thank you for your reply
2x4 is not balanced and measures poorly so thats out of picture. Flex on the other hand looks great BUT there are few problems...first as my DAC has analog outputs FLEX will need to engage ADC which is a big NO... I see there is digital OUT version of FLEX which could work IF it is in chain before the DAC...so digital out from transport/PC to digitalIN of FLEX then digital OUT to DAC...in this digital flow how is signal processed? Does it utilize only DAC chip or ...?
As FLEX is then DAC with EQ/room correction am I better off in getting something more DAC focused like RME ADI2 or is there something nicer around $1K mark? I see miniDSP products more like an aid and not standalone DAC unit...havent seen many hiend systems with it as a DAC tbh.

D

Deleted member 35357

Thank you for your reply
2x4 is not balanced and measures poorly so thats out of picture. Flex on the other hand looks great BUT there are few problems...first as my DAC has analog outputs FLEX will need to engage ADC which is a big NO... I see there is digital OUT version of FLEX which could work IF it is in chain before the DAC...so digital out from transport/PC to digitalIN of FLEX then digital OUT to DAC...in this digital flow how is signal processed? Does it utilize only DAC chip or ...?
As FLEX is then DAC with EQ/room correction am I better off in getting something more DAC focused like RME ADI2 or is there something nicer around $1K mark? I see miniDSP products more like an aid and not standalone DAC unit...havent seen many hiend systems with it as a DAC tbh.
There is a review of the 2x4 Flex on this site.

It's a recommended product around here.
ADC-->DAC wasn't a issue according to measurements.

The Flex can use digital inputs and then outout as a DAC as far as I understood it's features.

Trell

Major Contributor
Basically I need to bump up 20-40hz by 6db or so.
Have you tried different placements of your speakers and listening position?

You’ll need a measurements microphone (UMIK-1 is nice, inexpensive) and software like the free REW for testing.

Mal

Was looking at Schiit Lokius until I read the review.... Basically I need to bump up 20-40hz by 6db or so...I see people hate analog EQs...
That's one review. There are many positive reviews out there! For such a broad requirement, analog eq might be a quick and easy solution. I have a schiit loki mini+ that tamed brightness of my speakers. The lower dial is centred on 20hz, so might be good for your bass problem...

Trell

Major Contributor
That's one review. There are many positive reviews out there! For such a broad requirement, analog eq might be a quick and easy solution. I have a schiit loki mini+ that tamed brightness of my speakers. The lower dial is centred on 20hz, so might be good for your bass problem...
First the OP has to test that an attempted boost of the lowest octave will work. See my post above.

Mal

First the OP has to test that an attempted boost of the lowest octave will work. See my post above.
Why not just boost the lowest octave with the loki and see if the sound works for you? If it doesn't, send the loki back. Might save a lot of time and effort with microphones & tricky software...

Trell

Major Contributor
Why not just boost the lowest octave with the loki and see if the sound works for you? If it doesn't, send the loki back. Might save a lot of time and effort with microphones & tricky software...

The OP does not give any details as how she arrived at the 6 dB increase in the 20-40 Hz range. If there is a null in that area increasing the power output will not help but potentially affect speaker performance above that octave. Recall that each 3 dB increase in SPL amounts to a doubling of power requirements for the speakers.

So a quick sweep with a $100 measurement microphone will give her better information as to how it currently is and what any changes in placement brings to the table.

A quick googling shows that her speakers goes down deep, so perhaps there is no null below 40 Hz as shown by measurements. In this case the OP wants louder bass than the speakers can provide so a subwoofer or three is needed.

Last edited:

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you for your reply

You don't need to use your current DAC at all, it is redundant. Not sure why you are so worried about a "poorly" measuring DAC when you are currently using a DAC with a tube output stage. Objectively, such designs don't perform well.

Enabling ADC on the miniDSP Flex is hardly even a downside. Even with it enabled, SINAD is still 105dB. You don't need to quibble about not having the 120dB SINAD that state of the art DAC's offer. You cannot hear that difference, and even if you could, the DSP functionality is worth more than a few points of SINAD.

bYOndo

If you want a _modern_ stereo analog PEQ (yes, they exist!), there is the Elysia Xfilter Qube, it's on your 1 k$ landmark and seems to be the "budget minded state of the art" of this "niche" category. But there's no measurement here so this is just my humble opinion ;) you need a "Kube" replacement? Here's the "Qube"! :D

Top Bottom