• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Correct way to connect amp ground to RCA shield?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Edit: see post 2 for update.

I asked the question in Sabaj a10h thread, but I think maybe this will get more attentions.

I noticed that using Sabaj a10h as preamp increases the hum noise from my speakers. Chain is Node2i Coax to Gustard x16. Gustard x16 RCA to Sabaj a10h. A10h RCA to Parasound a21.

With everything connected, if a10h is powered off, only very little hum from speakers (known hum from my amp). Once a10h is turned on, the hum gets much louder and I can hear the hum from speakers from 10 ft away.

In Amir's original post for Sabaj a10h, he said this:
As soon as I connected the AP ground to the RCA shield, it substantially reduces mains interference resulting in the above measurement.

I would like to do the same for my setup to see if that helps with the hum.

What is the correct way to connect? Do I connect a wire to the body of the amp, then connect the wire to the RCA shield? I do this for both RCA cables, am I correct?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
@amirm answered in

Thanks Amir!

Since all my system already using same outlet and Amir said to resolve such issue is a nightmare, I think I will get a preamp with xlr next.

I do wonder if using Benchmark RCA to xlr cable would help or not. My amp has XLR in.

Top Bottom