• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Correct speaker wire

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
what’s funny to me about hifi is it’s something that should be basic science but there’s a human factor that carries emotion and feeling and the science and engineering must become more poetic in nature.

People who don't understand science also don't understand its beauty and poetry.

From Richard Feynman, arguably the finest scientific mind of the 20th century:

A poet once said, “The whole universe is in a glass of wine.” We will probably never know in what sense he said that, for poets do not write to be understood. But it is true that if we look in glass of wine closely enough we see the entire universe. There are the things of physics: the twisting liquid which evaporates depending on the wind and weather, the reflections in the glass, and our imagination adds the atoms. The glass is a distillation of the earth’s rocks, and in its composition we see the secrets of the universe’s age, and the evolution of the stars. What strange array of chemicals are in the wine? How did they come to be? There are the ferments, the enzymes, the substrates, and the products. There in wine is found the great generalization: all life is fermentation. Nobody can discover the chemistry of wine without discovering the cause of much disease.

How vivid is the claret, pressing its existence into the consciousness that watches it! If our small minds, for some convenience, divide this glass of wine, this universe, into parts — physics, biology, geology, astronomy, psychology, and so on — remember that nature does not know it! So let us put it all back together, not forgetting ultimately what it is for. Let us give one more final pleasure: drink it and forget it all!

OP
T

TankTop

Your dad studied EE for years with all its maths and physics to understand this stuff and you expect it to be delivered to you, at your level of understanding, in an easy grab-bite.

I get the feeling he knows he would be wasting his time.
Professional EE who started out as a technician. High voltage power systems. Generation, transmission and distribution - operation, control, design, maintenance and safety. Also policy, procedure and work instruction formulation and implementation.

Senior lead auditor ISO 9000 Quality Assurance Management systems. This is one job where you have to 'get it', and fast.

My reply was pointed in response to your unfair put-down of members in your post. You have since given some insight as to why your dad may find it difficult to explain things. Enjoy your coffee.

I don’t see where I was insulting to anyone, I may occasionally ask for a simplified explanation but nobody is obligated to answer. I’m fully away I’m punching above my weight but I recognize there’s valuable knowledge to be gained here, I certainly have no intention of going over to the Bose forum.

To your point that in your field it’s expected to “get it and fast”, I don’t think we’re saying the same thing. I’m sure you have worked with many engineers who are competent and you have worked with engineers who design elegant or cost effective design that is just better than the majority of other engineers because they just get it. Before you disagree, I’m pretty sure this forum is dedicated to just that, there are many amplifiers, not all are equal, in fact most suck!

Anyway, I don’t want to argue or piss you off, I just deleted my FB account and left several other forums because I’m in this for the enjoyment, as soon as it stops being fun I’m out! Let’s do each other a favor and keep it fun!

Wombat

Master Contributor
@TankTop, you said: "My dad is an electrical engineer ………….. but he can't explain this stuff to save his life, you guys aren't much better"

Not a very nice way to respond to those replying to your OP request.

Onward.

Last edited:
OP
T

TankTop

@TankTop, you said: "My dad is an electrical engineer ………….. but he can't explain this stuff to save his life, you guys aren't much better"

Not a very nice way to respond to those replying to your OP request.

Onward.
I’m going to leave this here for others amusement. I PM’d you a polite message saying I apologize if I inadvertently offended you (I can publish it for others if you like) and I thought we were on the same page. Obviously you have some personal issue with me and I’m assuming you go by another name on other forums. I wish you the best!

Wombat

Master Contributor
I’m going to leave this here for others amusement. I PM’d you a polite message saying I apologize if I inadvertently offended you (I can publish it for others if you like) and I thought we were on the same page. Obviously you have some personal issue with me and I’m assuming you go by another name on other forums. I wish you the best!

No offense. No personal intent. Hell, I don't know you. Just a comment on one of your posts, as it was written.

I'm glad that's done now. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Obviously you have some personal issue with me

Wombat hates everyone equally. No discrimination.

You're not special...

Wombat

Master Contributor
Seems like I've been Scrutinized. :eek:

How ironic. ;)

Top Bottom