• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coronavirus Is Indiscriminate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So far, other than being a little more careful on my few outings, nothing has changed in my routine, such as it is.

Still going to need to find some hamburger buns.

Or, I can fire up the breadmaker after I read up on how to make hamburger buns. Already have the ingredients for that little chore.

Good luck to all those not so lucky.
Well I was unlucky. No bread of any kind including hamburger and hot dog buns. And the ingredients needed to make bread were also wiped off the shelves today. Fortunately a relative happened along another store as the bread was being put out. So in the end I have bread and was lucky.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"You take the risk and we make more money" culture is resisting the current pandemic action plans:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/mar/18/tech-execs-who-dont-agree-coronavirus-measures
I've had the same thoughts as these guys. If we didn't care about old people no longer working, just go right along without hurting the economy. Now before someone goes nuts, I didn't say I thought it is what we should do just that it was an option that might seem less onerous in aggregate.

digicidal

Major Contributor
"You take the risk and we make more money" culture is resisting the current pandemic action plans:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/mar/18/tech-execs-who-dont-agree-coronavirus-measures

My favorite bit from Elon Musk:
“As a basis for comparison, the risk of death from C19 is *vastly* less than the risk of death from driving your car home,” Musk wrote in an email to SpaceX employees, according to BuzzFeed News.

My thought: "Especially if they're driving one of your cars..." :p

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
article-13704-hero.jpg

Well, the TP hoarders can.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
There are political outliers who seem to be comfortable sacrificing the older citizens for the sake of reduced economic risk.

It is ironic that these oldies form a significant proportion of their voter base. More die, fewer votes. o_O

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
I was waiting for a good while at an ATM for a flustered senior to finish his failed efforts at conducting his transaction. Meanwhile, the queue grew.
An impatient woman in the queue decided to share her impatience, close-up, with me and said "I can't be expected to wait around, I have the flu".

The ordinary 'flu' she added. Sheesh. :facepalm:

So much for voluntary distancing.

Last edited:

captain paranoia

He used 1% for the fatality rate.

Not here he didnt:

"If we assume that case fatality rate among individuals infected by SARS-CoV-2 is 0.3% in the general population — a mid-range guess from my Diamond Princess analysis — and that 1% of the U.S. population gets infected (about 3.3 million people), this would translate to about 10,000 deaths."

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not here he didnt:

"If we assume that case fatality rate among individuals infected by SARS-CoV-2 is 0.3% in the general population — a mid-range guess from my Diamond Princess analysis — and that 1% of the U.S. population gets infected (about 3.3 million people), this would translate to about 10,000 deaths."
Pedantic reply. He used different rates in different parts of the paper, discussing various possibilities. And like I said if instead 20% of the population is infected then even his estimate results in huge death tolls.

captain paranoia

I'm just pointing out the source of my initial observation.

Yes, of course there will be a huge variation in the numbers, depending on what the actual figures are. The problem is, we don't have the actual numbers, and, due to the way infection spreads, it's hard to get them accurately. Random sampling over a wide geographic area won't do it.

But the practical situation in Italy is probably in the minds on decision makers.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Sadly, too many of them:
90018158_2709741685747231_6021405271224483840_o.jpg

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Two doctors informed me coronavirus likely slammed into Vincennes and Washington, Indiana area in late December and early January. Schools closed early. My son was sick for 5 or 6 days. Wife had mild symptoms for 2 days. I was asymptomatic. Symptoms were similar to corona. All testing was negative for influenza. I suspect overreaction on the safe side. We have several Japanese owned manufacturing plants in the area. Management could have brought it in.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Two doctors informed me coronavirus likely slammed into Vincennes and Washington, Indiana area in late December and early January. Schools closed early. My son was sick for 5 or 6 days. Wife had mild symptoms for 2 days. I was asymptomatic. Symptoms were similar to corona. All testing was negative for influenza. I suspect overreaction on the safe side. We have several Japanese owned manufacturing plants in the area. Management could have brought it in.
Do you have shortness of breath?

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom