• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Corner Speaker Sibilance in Large Vaulted Room

AaronDC

This is my first post here after obsessively researching and not really finding an answer. I think I’m in the right place though! I'd like to improve sound quality in the great room of my house (a small converted church). Please, read on… it gets interesting!

Here are my givens:

— Budget for improvements: $3,150. ($2,150 remaining?)
— Source: Sonos Connect running Spotify (320Kbps) as well as streaming radio. I could consider switching to Tidal FLAC.
— Our 8,000 cu ft great room reaches 15.5’ in height 40’ long and 19’ wide. It has lots of interfering trusses, and other complicated architectural elements, windows, etc, which I'm gathering might be helpful.
— I play music only and I listen to all kinds all the time.
— For sound style, I prefer musicality, sound that doesn't fatigue. I’m very much of a music lover, but I also really care about sound quality. Detail, dimensionality, etc are all very interesting, but I don’t need speakers to disappear or have a trumpet player virtually play in a specific location, though I wouldn’t mind! I tend to move around, lie on the couch, have friends over for dinner (someday soon?) in the adjacent dining and kitchen areas of the room, so I won’t be able to enjoy a small sweet spot for very long.
— I usually play music at low-ish volume, but I’d like to be able to crank it up and party sometimes. Not club loud, but home party loud.
— Used equipment is fine.
— I’m technically inclined. I not afraid to do very complicated technical projects of any kind.
— Floor plans and pics are attached. Blue Xs are the two Cornwalls and the Red squares are the remaining Missions. That animal is a stuffed peccary. I found it in an antique shop. I had to have it.

Important spouse, human and animal factors:

-- I'm married to a person who has no interest in fine audio who doesn't want obtrusive looking speakers. We can’t put speakers “in the middle of the room”, which also means that we can’t put them to either side of the wood stove which I believe is the obvious location for the room.
-- We have three kids who are thankfully now out of the ankle-biting stage, but occasionally tear around the house shooting each other with Nerf bullets. We have a young dog as well who gets balls thrown to her inside sometimes. So, there are projectiles for sure.
-- Most of my more focused listening is in the "living room" portion of the great room, but we play music in the great room while cooking in the kitchen at the other end and during dinner etc.

Here’s my problem:

I started by purchasing a well-regarded speaker within my budget that can be placed in a corner. There aren’t many choices that I’m aware of. I bought a pair of Klipsch Cornwall I’s from 1978. (Remaining Budget: $2,150). Despite the large size, their mid-century appeal works well for us, so they actually have good WAF. I hooked them up and I was initially wowed when I connected them to my old Yamaha Natural Sound AV Receiver HTR-3067. I wasted 6 years listening on a pair of little Mission M71s placed high up on brackets in the room corners with a Hsu Research VTF-2 MK4 subwoofer. Those have been removed. I left another pair of Missions in the kitchen end and will run them independently. Unfortunately for me, I quickly developed a love-hate relationship with the Cornwalls. Jazz, piano, vocalists, and live music sound amazing. Anything else sounds harsh and sibilant. I’ve literally changed how I’m listening to music because of these speakers and that’s not good.

Amp to the rescue? EQ? A different speaker? A new WAF friendly location?

I started looking for a solution and learned that horn sibilance is a very common problem. I read that pairing a tube amp, in particular, a Single-Ended Triode amp could help, and more, it could be indescribably sublime with a very sensitive speaker like the Cornwall I (98.5db). So, I placed an order for a 2.3 watt Decware Zen Triode. It’s a 5-month wait. So, I got a $200 TubeCube 7 to hold me until it arrives. It’s pretty nice, but not great. Better than my Yamaha though.

I continued to learn more and now believe that I really ought to get more wattage. But that’s not all. I’m going to wait 5 months just to be able to try out a Decware amp? The talk about their SET amps is so convincing. I can’t wait to hear one. But I’m also aware that I may be trying to solve a horn speaker imperfection with the imperfection offered by a SET, sublime as that imperfection may be. It doesn’t matter to me, I just want good sound. I don’t need to have a tube amp, a SET tube amp, a SS amp or any other particular kind of amp. Or a particular speaker for that matter (unless it’s ugly). I’m happy to sell my Cornwalls and start with a new speaker, maybe even in a different out of the way spot in the room. I even checked out pendant speakers, like they have in airports and such.

It seems that the gold standard for problem solving is try different things in my listening space. I put my brother’s old Audio Note DAC on my source. Nothing much there. I auditioned a Fezz Audio Titania, which is just a really nice and powerful version of my little TubeCube. It didn’t solve the issue. Now I’m thinking maybe a SS Marantz, or a SET that I can actually find in my budget and that is available for me to try (and return if necessary). Or maybe something else? I’ve also searched for a different speaker that can be located in a corner which I can afford and basically have found nothing.

I can also take this in another direction and EQ my setup. Or maybe there’s another solution?

Let’s not forget next steps after all this, a DAC seems like a good possibility.

Thanks for reading my little story. I hope you liked it and have some suggestions for me!

Aaron
Glen Echo, MD

Attachments

• Speaker Floor Plan.pdf
    461.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Speaker Elevations.pdf
    809.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_6148.jpg
    IMG_6148.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_6149.jpg
    IMG_6149.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_6150.jpg
    IMG_6150.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 167

tw99

Forget about fixing it with amps or dacs in my opinion. You will read lots of stuff about "the magic of SETs" etc but even if you believe what you read, the results are at best going to be a lottery.

Different speakers or add some EQ to try to tame the ones you have.

OP
A

AaronDC

Forget about fixing it with amps or dacs in my opinion. You will read lots of stuff about "the magic of SETs" etc but even if you believe what you read, the results are at best going to be a lottery.

Different speakers or add some EQ to try to tame the ones you have.

Any suggestions on a speaker that can go in a corner? Or maybe some other location that is not "in the middle of the room"?

Thanks!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Based on the photos - the whole room looks like it would be too lively. One big (if thin-looking) carpet and some alibi curtains plus furniture are better than nothing, but not nearly enough to tame the reverb IMO. The walls / windows would seem to need addressing the most. The right speaker looks like it may be partially obscured by the sofa as well, which would be in no way helping. I'd guess the sibilance may be a result of poor speaker dispersion (and, I suspect, not exactly 100% linear response on axis to begin with) combined with these rather reflective surroundings.

I'd say you could still move both speakers closer together by at least half a foot or so each, the whole affair looks rather wide.

Room EQ based on measurements is definitely worth a shot (I mean, I've even used REW and a USB vocal mic to tame some Panasonic 4" 2-way micro system speakers partially stuck behind a monitor, not perfect but it did help quite a bit), but long-term I'd suggest ditching the old Cornwalls.
For a more modern take on Real Men's Loudspeakers, you could try some JBL SRX835s ($1349 a pop right now)... they're a bit rustic and might take some sprucing up in the optical department, but that's par for the course with PA speakers. They'll no doubt go LOUD even with the lowly HTR-3067 (95 dB / W / m should translate to at least 113 dB @ 1 m each with a 70 wpc amp, a bit less than the Cornwalls but presumably with deeper bass), and would take a much more severe beating if need be. Yamaha's YPAO room EQ doesn't have a particularly good rep but maybe it'll allow for some manual input.
That said, I suspect that some slightly more conventional towers of a certain minimum size may also get the job done... while we're at JBL, maybe the Studio 590 (2x 8" bass seems about right, I wouldn't want to go much smaller than that here - the 5" Mission bookshelves were clearly undersized). Rear BR ports are of relatively little concern as long as some space is available on the back (maybe 4-6"?), the rest can be dialed in with room EQ (and should!).

Last edited:

noobie1

I'm wondering if two Apple Homepods (or something) might be the ticket for you. From what I understand, Homepods have room calibration built in. Since the unit is small, you can a lot of flexibility in terms of placement. I would experiment putting it on your desk (each end). Would also experiment placing it where the Klipsch are now but away from the corner as much as possible. Obvious drawback of Homepod is that there is no AUX input and you'd have to use Apple Music.

OP
A

AaronDC

-- I believe that generally speaking, Klipsch horn speakers are noted for their harsh treble.
-- They are spaced 14' apart. Due to WAF, they can't be moved from their locations.

I just did the Yamaha YPAO yesterday and it helped. I'm definitely going to give a room EQ a try.

I'm investigating some speaker options:
-- Magnepan 1.7
-- Magnepan LRS
-- Kef R3
-- Kef Q950
-- Wharfdale Linton (with stands)
-- Wharfdale EVO 4.4

I have not found any speakers specifically designed for corner placement in my budget.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
A cheap thing to try would be to put some cotten wool balls in the throat of the horns. Try half a ball to begin and play from there.

Kevin1956

I have some experience with Klipsch speakers and YPAO. I would suggest placing the Cornwalls in the corners closer to a 45 degree angle, so their direct axis is in front of the listening position. Then I would perform the YPAO on that axis, not at the listening position. All easily undone if it doesn’t achieve the desired result.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
you probably have big mid frequency dips because of speaker boundary interference in the corners.
I don't see a better place to put them.
You can straddle the corner with absorbtion and put the speaker in front. wife will complain a little, but you should just explain why it needs to be done lol

Top Bottom