• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Corner Club Cathedral Cocoon: Audiophilia and Its Discontents (Harper's Dec 2022)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm excited to hear about Bar Shiru in Oakland; I wish it were a little closer to my side of San Francisco. However in all honesty, I suspect we Yanks are culturally disinclined to third-space places which are both social AND hushed. It's hard enough to find a bar without a drive-in television.
Don't get me started about the architectural style where all reflective surfaces are exposed. What a sonic nightmare.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Oswalds Mill Audio speakers mentioned in the article.
View attachment 243602and the turntable...
View attachment 243603
Here's the bio of Mr Weiss.
Jonathan Weiss, born in New York City, studied International Relations and Political Philosophy at Princeton University, and Public International Law at London School of Economics. After years of travel Weiss changed direction and became a filmmaker. He produced and directed a full length feature adaptation of J.G. Ballard's infamous non narrative novel, The Atrocity Exhibition into a similarly non narrative film. After discovering Oswald's Mill in Eastern Pennsylvania, a vast restoration project, he embarked on a new direction for audio with OMA.
Damn! He's overqualified!
Another way to look at it, he has no pre-conceived notions to quell his creativity ;)

Top Bottom