• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Copying Music From PC To Android Phone

concorde1

I have a Motorola / Android phone.

Getting files to copy from my PC to the phone has been incredibly arduous. The first issue I had was that some lint was in the USB input/output of my phone. I have made sure I check this before I try to copy files. The second issue was in Windows 10 Advanced Power Options, USB Selective Suspend Setting was turned ON, so now I make sure it's OFF. But having fixed these two things (the latter of which is a really dumb feature in W10 that isn't obvious at all to find yourself), I still can't copy files to my Android phone. It was working for some attempts in the past year or so where I could copy all my music. But now when I try to copy my ~3000 files (~70GB) it just copies the first 40-80 of them and the Copying window just disappears and it gives up.

I'm baffled by this and also incredulous that it is so damn hard just to copy my music from one place to another.

I don't know if it's an Android issue or a Windows 10 issue.

I seem to recall when I used Arch Linux in the past, this issue was not present - it would just soldier on and copy everything. But that was over a year ago.

Anyone know how to fix this Windows/Android behaviour?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Copying to a micro SD card works as suggested. As does copying over your wireless home network in batches. There are some apps for over the air or over the internet copying via a web browser. Superbeam is one that works pretty good. I mostly transfer photos from phone to PC, but it works both ways.

Sashoir

Forum Donor
I lend my support to the microSD solution. If that's not an option for you, and wireless transfer's not working, then you might want to look at xcopy or robocopy from your windows HDD to your Android device as your last resort. Xcopy is an ancient command line tool, and robocopy is the new and improved version (also ancient, but less so). For some reason (magic), using such utilities sometimes works when other methods fail. If you used a staging directory on your computer for the files you wanted to transfer, then you could wrap it in a batch file and never have to see the command prompt again.

Bamboszek

I had no issues with copying large music library to my android phones but I can agree that MTP USB mode responsiveness is a bit poor. It's very sluggish especially when moving photos from phone to PC and all the thumbnails are loading.
Hosting an ftp server on your phone is really simple and usually has higher transfer rates than USB connection.
Personally I'm using FTP server build in Mi File Manager. Press one button to host, insert displayed address in Windows explorer (where usually folder path is, like C:\Program Files) and you can freely explore phone memory on computer, like regular folder.
Mi File Manager - free and easily – Aplikacje w Google Play
Just don't forget to temporary disable auto locking of phone.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

FTP with Foobar2000 app works fine.

I was copying via FTP server, got to 85%. I then accidentally interrupted the copying. Now I don't know how to copy only the remaining files, and I don't know if the last file to copy was partially copied, or removed so that the 2nd to last file is complete. I don't want a partial song.

I tried comparing source and destination folders in WinMerge but I couldn't open the FTP in that program.

Help?

Top Bottom