• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cool new PWM Class D design - Can I send an amp to Amir to review?

Mehta

Love this site! Haven't posted before as the threads seem to be fairly complete.

Somehow, I obsessed over audio electronics enough that I am becoming an amplifier distro/retailer.

I've tested .. a few models (haha) and have established a good relationship with a very cool original factory with its own designs. They deserve a good push, as their stuff is absolutely brilliant.

Understand that I'm not someone who does projects to get rich or even with a financial goal in mind. I've sold a few of these units so far, including to one professional mastering engineer (a colleague - that's one of my jobs, too). Everyone has been satisfied.

It's are a high power unit, able to output 1000 watts at 4 ohms while staying under 10% THD. The THD chart supplied by the factory is beautiful, and indeed, in my testing, there was no distortion audible from the amplifier at all.

Distortion specs on Class D amps are all really amazing now. What's so incredible about this amp is the DC remain and damping. It is, no lie, the tightest amp I've ever heard. It is tighter than a Bryston. I tested pure bass tones at high levels, and, yeah. Maybe some of you are familiar with certain high level pro bass guitarists using Bryston amplifiers. This new PWM Class D amp competes. Basically, players who wanted the least resonance would use a Bryston or something similar. My current bass guitar rig has adjustable resonance, but that's another story :)wink)

Here are the factory's listed specs:

• Material: Alum, Iron, integrated PCB
  • Power: 2*1100W/4Ω; 2*625W/8Ω
  • Stable to 4Ω
  • THD: <0.005%
  • N/S Ratio: >112 dB
  • Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz +/-0.25 dB
  • Damping Factor: >1000
  • Controlled Slew Rate: >50V/us
  • PDM Frequency: 400KHz
  • Input Resistance: 30K Ohm Balanced
  • Input Sensitivity: 0.775V
  • Max Output Voltage: 100Vpeak/50Apeak
  • Power Factor: >0.95@>500W
  • DC Remain: <5mV
  • Size: 1U, 48.2*4.4*16.5 cm
  • Weight: 4 kg
  • Power Requirement: AC 90-250V full range voltage

We have a few models. This one is $450 CAD + shipping (it's 1u and 4kg so shipping is not bad, even insured). We can also do higher power models that are stable at 2 ohm if that is desired, for PA application. These are PA amps with hi-fi/studio specs, and the price is so silly that I know that most people won't order until they see independent testing.

I'd love to ship one of these over and get it independently tested. How do I send an amp to Amir? I thought that making an ostentatious thread would be the best way to get the ball rolling :)

OP
M

Mehta

Please excuse some bad grammar, I was excited when I typed this out.

Zoomer

How do I send an amp to Amir? I thought that making an ostentatious thread would be the best way to get the ball rolling :)

There's a message+ link at the top of this page which answers your question.

How about some links to the product in the mean time, so the rest of us can check it out for themselves?

By the way, if you participate as a retailer/distributor you should post in the Desperate Dealers forum.

OP
M

Mehta

Ok, thanks for the tips. I'm honestly not too familiar with this site, I've just seen some scathing reviews!!! And some really positive reviews of amps that I know are excellent.

I'm not really a dealer yet. I mean, I am, but I don't have a website or anything. I just have the amps and you can buy them from me. I have a little retail store (read: my house), and people reach out to me for gear advice constantly.

To be honest, I don't really want to be shipping a ton of amps out, but if that's what needs to happen, I'm ok with that. Mainly, I'm a producer, educator, engineer, etc. The retail thing has just evolved from assisting people with finding the right equipment for the past decade.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How do I send an amp to Amir?

Hover your mouse over his name, and start a conversation:

1602751285092.png

OP
M

Mehta

Yup figured it out! Unnecessary hype thread I guess. Could be worse.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The datasheet contains a few AP plots too. Looks like it should make it into the upper half of the SINAD chart and be good value for money. A review would be interesting.

Zoomer

Dare Audio
Seems to be a later gen. than the Swamp gear.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Spec'd at 4 ohms but only rated as stable to 4 ohms? Usually stability is specified to significantly lower impedance than power specs. Many if not most 4-ohm speakers, and quite a few 8-ohm (nominal) speakers, dip below 4 ohms at some frequency(ies). Everything else seems good, so 4-ohm min for stable operations seems odd. Typo?

Curious - Don

Reactions: wje

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm confused. Did he build it himself, or not? :) If it appears to be commercially available? Or just similar cabinet?

OP
M

Mehta

Technically 2.5 ohm min, 1800 watt output
And yes, SWAMP is the Aus distro :)

OP
M

Mehta

I'm confused. Did he build it himself, or not? :) If it appears to be commercially available? Or just similar cabinet?

No, I didn't design or build it. It is an original design by very cool and enthusiastic factory. They are very serious, and would love to get torn to shreds if it means that they will get better.

OP
M

Mehta

Amir got back to me and said that his dummy load is not rated for such high power, and he fears damaging it, which is quite fair. Also, I don't think Amir tests the factors that set this amp apart. The distortion is certainly acceptable. It's the taut quality that impresses me most.

A fellow mastering engineer who bought one of these from me said that it tested better than any other amp he's tried. I'm not sure what testing he did, but that is always a nice thing to hear.

One thing is for sure - you will not have want of power with one of these in your house.

hdaudio

Looks like Dare Audio amplifier hardware on Amazon rebranded as Sound Town, 1-3 star reviews report reliability issues, review photos show minimal components inside the case.

Sound Town UPDM 7500W Peak Output, Ultra-Lightweight, DJ PA 2-Channel Power Amplifier, 2 x 1700W at 4-Ohm, 2 x 950W at 8-Ohm (ST-UPDM7500)
$220 USD
https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Town-U...T-UPDM7500/dp/B07SB2FSJ8?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Ranked #82 on Amazon's Best Sellers in Power Amplifiers. At this minimal price point for claimed high power and performance it appears low reliability is the tradeoff with this design. "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is"

61SsZLF5CKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

dare_inside1.jpg

Zoomer

Good find!
From one of the amazon reviews: In the UK this amp is known as, R10 2.8K i-Punch Dynamic Energy Recycling Power Amplifier.
Which leads to tsunami-sound-systems where £374.00 currently buys you 4 x 1800W/2.6Ω; 4Ω x 1200W/4Ω; 4 X 700W/8Ω o_O

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Having the output devices and regulator using a thin bit of steel as a heatsink could explain some reliability problems. Still it's alot of juice for not alot of money.

Top Bottom