• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cooking on Stove Top vs Barbeque Grill?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28849
  • Start date

jaykay77

Start with the steak at room temperature.
Coat in a high smoke point oil.
Liberally season with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
In a hot cast iron pan on the stove top sear it for 1-2 minutes per side.
Turn the heat down to medium and continue flipping and cooking until desired doneness.
I use an instant read thermometer and like 125-130 degrees F.
Perfection

Martin

This is a good way to do it.

An evolution of this is to season with salt and bring the steaks to room temperature. (crucial step)

Next, put them in a 425'ish degree oven to get them hot.

Final step, sear them on a cast iron or super hot pan/griddle whatever you like.

Let them rest!!!

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am a recent convert, but if you are not using a sous vide, you are pretty much wasting your steak. It comes out cooked perfectly evenly all the way through. You simply cannot do that any other way. The downside is that it takes a lot longer, although the total work required is no more than traditional methods.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why would I want it cooked perfectly evenly all the way through??

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
why would I want it cooked perfectly evenly all the way through??
The entire steak is medium rare (or whatever cook you prefer), with maybe 1/16” on the top and bottom that is cooked beyond that. It is far more precise.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Sous vide was my method for a while, but I don't prefer the texture to an oven-based reverse sear or even just grilled sometimes. To me the main benefit of sous vide is workflow - it gives so much flexibility on timing while cooking other things. That said I still cook them sous vide once in a while when in the mood for the edge-to-edge medium rare thing.

Reactions: GDK

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll stick with radiant grilling on my steaks

jaykay77

I am a recent convert, but if you are not using a sous vide, you are pretty much wasting your steak. It comes out cooked perfectly evenly all the way through. You simply cannot do that any other way. The downside is that it takes a lot longer, although the total work required is no more than traditional methods.

Steaks, in my opinion are not as good when using sous vide. The texture is different and it's just not as enjoyable. I save sous vide for the braising cuts...and for lobster - Maine or Florida.

At my place, we practice sous vide for short rib, pork shoulder (butt), pork belly, shanks, osso buco...lobster tail...and some other things. The strips, ribeyes, filets, etc...we use the grill and/or cast iron.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
The last steak I cooked was a ~6oz filet. Smoked to ~105 on a Traeger pellet grill at 220°F or so, rested for a bit, then finished on a propane grill with flat aluminum grill grates that were as hot as possible. The smoke had dried out the outside a bit so when it hit the aluminum it quickly formed a thin and crackly crust. And the flavor from the smoke was welcome on the less flavorful cut of beef. It was crazy good, although a bit eccentric.

jaykay77

This is interesting:

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/tips-for-cooking-frozen-steak-on-the-grill-article

My friend definitely had multiple heat areas and moved the meats to different heated grill/pan plates. Must admit, I didn't take a great deal of notice at the time. There were plenty of distractions...

View attachment 131262
I do two zone on my grill, but usually in the opposite direction, unless the steak cuts are on the thin side...I heat everything to about 20 degrees below the desired temp on the low heat zone, then sear on the hot zone right before serving/resting.

Works very well for skin on chicken because the fat will render out more as it comes to temp slowly, and you'll get less flame ups, crispier skin, more tender chicken.

Works well with thick cut steaks too - you'll get an incredible seared crust and a very evenly cooked steak.

Top Bottom