• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cooked my AVR?

djtetei

@N1ck
Just out of curiosity: have you tried a processor reset on your AVR?

OP
N

N1ck

I have done a full reset. The right channel is still crackling/distorted unfortunately.

djtetei

Is this the procedure you tried to reset the processor?

First pull out the power cord 20 secs or so and plug it back , do not press the power button yet.
On the front panel press and hold the TUNER PRESET CH+ and CH- at the same time and press the power button.
Keep holding those 2 buttons (ch+/ch-) until the display starts to blink and release.

djtetei

Looks like your AVR needs to be opened up to verify its output stage.
It is not difficult to repair it and will offer you the chance to increase its resale value.

OP
N

N1ck

It probably isn’t difficult. I’m quite handy but, unfortunately, I simply don’t know what I am doing with it.

djtetei

Well, if you are poised on upgrading to a Dolby Atmos compatible AVR, you can use the existing one into another room or you can sell it at right price, especially if it is repaired.

OP
N

N1ck

Yeah, absolutely. However, I don’t see any value in paying someone to repair it and I don’t know how to do it myself. Unfortunately, it’ll probably be scrapped or sold as faulty on eBay should anyone want to try a repair.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m happy to get a cheap 2 channel amp
Some years ago, I had bought a 5-Channel Rotel Amplifier, with the intention of possibly going umpteen-Channel in the future. After many trials, I realized that I enjoy the simplicity of 2-channel. I rotate the Rotel's unused I/Os every few years but it runs 24/7, since ownership.

What I am trying to say is that instead of the purchase of an el-cheapo amp, you may consider the alternative 'inve$tment'... if you decide to retire the Denon...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, absolutely. However, I don’t see any value in paying someone to repair it and I don’t know how to do it myself. Unfortunately, it’ll probably be scrapped or sold as faulty on eBay should anyone want to try a repair.
I provided warranty service for Denon for several years and repaired many Denon amps. Denon is nice to work on. They usually blow a output transistor and don't cascade blow many transistors. So a repair is likely to be a straightforward operation. Additionally the physical layout of the amp PCB and it's accessibility would make for a reasonably easy repair for a experienced techy. In your case if you have a multimeter with diode test with a little guidance you could take some measurements and figure out if a output power transistor has blown or maybe more.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I provided warranty service for Denon for several years and repaired many Denon amps. Denon is nice to work on. They usually blow a output transistor and don't cascade blow many transistors. So a repair is likely to be a straightforward operation. Additionally the physical layout of the amp PCB and it's accessibility would make for a reasonably easy repair for a experienced techy. In your case if you have a multimeter with diode test with a little guidance you could take some measurements and figure out if a output power transistor has blown or maybe more.
Offer your repair services (to @N1ck) to prove once-and-for-all that you are NOT [semi-] anti-social!

Top Bottom