• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Convolution & sample rate

daftcombo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Patreon Donor
Hi,

I have mostly 44.1kHz/16bit music files (MP3 & FLAC).

Is it better to run convolution with a 44.1 kHz impulse, or to upsample the files at 88.2 kHz and run convolution at 88.2 kHz?
And in the last case, is it better (for example to avoid IMD products) to downsample back to 44.1 kHz?

Cheers.

daftcombo

Patreon Donor
Additional question: how transparent are Resampler (SoX) in Foobar? the resampler in JRiver?

daftcombo

Patreon Donor
You can prepare several DSP presets ( 44, 88,176) and test passing between them. DSP switcher for Foobar.
https://cdpos.biz/showthread.php?1034-DSP-Switcher-(Переключатель-DSP)
Yes, I couldn't just prepare several configurations and listen. But experience taught me that differences sometimes are difficult to spot in a short time, and I would like some help, at least to tell me what to focus on: treble, bass, soundstage...
It is easier when a problem is already spotted (like harshness) and you try several solutions to see if there's an improvement.
If somebody hints me, I'll take an ABX to check.

Jim777

Patreon Donor
I'd run it without resampling. Few reasons, the 88.2k impulse is kind of just a resampled filter (it will be the same length in time, or twice as long in sample length). Also, not that it matters, but this filter is probably only doing stuff to lower frequencies. And finally, if well done, both should sound identical so why do extra processing if you have IR's for your source material's sample rate?
I even suspect that some room correction systems downsamples, processes that (less complex), then upsamples and adds back the high frequencies of the input with the appropriate delay. There is just no reason to process at a higher rate.

Top Bottom