• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Converting USB or HDMI audio to optical

morsecypher

Until recently I had a PC with sound card with optical audio-out, which I had connected to optical-in on my stereo amp. Now I have a mini-PC with 4 USB and 2 HDMI ports.

It seems that I have two ways to get optical audio to my amp. First is to use my Grundig GFW6740 TV (HDMI out on the PC => HDMI in on the TV => optical-out on the TV => optical-in on the amp) or to use an USB soundcard (I have a Behringer uca222 somewhere in the drawer) with a digital optical-out (USB out on the PC => USB in on the sound card => optical-out on the sound card=> optical-in on the amp).

I'm wondering whether those two setups would introduce unwanted digital to analog conversion (HDMI/USB to analog) before again converting to optical digital, or would the signal remain digital (HDMI/USB directly converted to optical digital)?

If someone has any knowledge or experience on the subject, I would be most grateful for any help.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
For the uca222 there will be no analog conversion. I suspect it will remain digital all the way for the Grundig too, but it's harder to be sure.

Top Bottom