• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Converting fixed outputs to variable outputs?

Oski1928

Might be silly but I have a question. My integrated amp has 2 sets of rca outputs labeled recorder 1 and 2. I believe recorder outputs are fixed. Is there any way to convert one of these to be a variable output so that a subwoofer can be connected. I don’t need a sub right now but would like one in the future and do not want to be limited to a sub with high level inputs (far fewer options).

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Might be silly but I have a question. My integrated amp has 2 sets of rca outputs labeled recorder 1 and 2. I believe recorder outputs are fixed. Is there any way to convert one of these to be a variable output so that a subwoofer can be connected. I don’t need a sub right now but would like one in the future and do not want to be limited to a sub with high level inputs (far fewer options).
You can add an external volume control but it will not track the internal control. If you have tech skills, or know a tech, you could detach the wires from the connectors inside the component and add wires (coax) to the preamp outputs, if it has them, or to a convenient point after the volume control. If it does have preamp outputs you could just use Y-cables to split the signal, one leg to the internal amplifier, the other to the sub. You could also build or buy attenuators to convert the speaker-level outputs to line-level to drive any sub you choose.

OP
O

Oski1928

You can add an external volume control but it will not track the internal control. If you have tech skills, or know a tech, you could detach the wires from the connectors inside the component and add wires (coax) to the preamp outputs, if it has them, or to a convenient point after the volume control. If it does have preamp outputs you could just use Y-cables to split the signal, one leg to the internal amplifier, the other to the sub. You could also build or buy attenuators to convert the speaker-level outputs to line-level to drive any sub you choose.
Thanks for all the info. I am a little confused though. When I think of pre amp outputs I think of variable outputs. If it had pre amp outputs wouldn’t that be exactly what I’m looking for? The only line level outputs it has are the two recorder outputs.

It’s a PM KI Ruby

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Thanks for all the info. I am a little confused though. When I think of pre amp outputs I think of variable outputs. If it had pre amp outputs wouldn’t that be exactly what I’m looking for? The only line level outputs it has are the two recorder outputs.

It’s a PM KI Ruby
Based on that, no. You would need to add circuitry of some sort. You could connect a wire to a point after the volume control and see if that works, but you might need to add a buffer depending on the circuit configuration.

What is curious is that you have two connectors labelled "Recorder", very few people have had more than one recording system, so this seems redundant. Perhaps you should check if one is variable output...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

It’s a PM KI Ruby
Your post did not say, or I missed it, if it had preamp outputs already and you just wanted a second set. If there are none, your only options are an internal hack or a high-level attenuator as @MaxwellsEq said. I also agree with him that two recorder outputs are a bit unusual; a tape loop with an input and output set is more common. Looking at the online manual it does indeed show two recorder outputs and does not say much else about them. Sometimes components have one variable and one fixed recorder output but that does not seem to be the case here. The manual is rather terse, however.

Seems like your best approach would be a high-level attenuator and then you can use any subwoofer. You may have to use a special version if the amp outputs float (i.e. no ground connection, like an internally bridged amplifier).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree a sub with speaker level inputs would do what you need. Also if you don't use the headphone out, it presumably tracks the volume. So it could be used to output a signal to the sub. Not elegant, but it would work.

OP
O

Oski1928

Based on that, no. You would need to add circuitry of some sort. You could connect a wire to a point after the volume control and see if that works, but you might need to add a buffer depending on the circuit configuration.

What is curious is that you have two connectors labelled "Recorder", very few people have had more than one recording system, so this seems redundant. Perhaps you should check if one is variable output...
Do you know the easiest way to test if one is variable if I do not have a sub or power amp on hand?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Do you know the easiest way to test if one is variable if I do not have a sub or power amp on hand?
Does your TV have analog inputs?

Or if you have a desktop/tower computer with a regular soundcard you can plug-into the line input (blue) if you have the correct adapter cable. (There is a setting in Windows for "listen to this device".)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Why not just "Y" Wye to controlled output?
Because his component (Marantz PM KI Ruby) does not have a preamp output other than the (fixed-level) record outputs. No preamp outputs.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Because his component (Marantz PM KI Ruby) does not have a preamp output other than the (fixed-level) record outputs. No preamp outputs.
I missed that.
So he needs a speaker level to line level reducer.
Radio Shack had one in the automobile sound section (but that was then).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I missed that.
Or a sub with speaker level inputs which is quite common.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I missed that.
Me too, no worries.

Rip City Dave

As Blumlein 88 said, there are subs out there with high level inputs that will accept the signals from your speaker cables. It is the best solution if you have no preamp outputs.

OP
O

Oski1928

As Blumlein 88 said, there are subs out there with high level inputs that will accept the signals from your speaker cables. It is the best solution if you have no preamp outputs.
Yea I see that’s what seems to be best, I’m well aware of the different subs that have high level inputs. I was really only asking out of curiosity so I knew what was and wasn’t possible. Thanks for all the info from everyone.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Top Bottom