• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Converting DVD-A files (.ABO) to .WAV or AIFF

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello people!

I have quite a few DVD-A discs that I am trying to rip into my Mac so I don't have to use the DVD player to listen to them. Convenience.
Does anyone have any recommendations on what software to use to rip the .ABO sound files from the discs to either AIFF or .WAV?
I am not having much luck using Google...

Thank you very much!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Like regular video DVDs, DVD-Audio discs are encrypted and the software to crack the copy protection is illegal. It uses a different (better?) encryption method and since DVD-Audio is pretty-much obsolete the software is harder to find than regular video DVD ripping software.

I am not having much luck using Google...
Make sure to include "AOB" in your search. Otherwise you'll mostly get results for ripping the audio from regular video DVDs.

Since it's illegal I won't mention the name but there was a free Windows application and I think it's still available but I never tried it (I've only got one or two DVD-Audio discs). I don't think it's free anymore.

You might also try Doom9.net or VideoHelp.com

OP
C

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
Thanks. I really don't want to do anything fishy. I'll resign myself to playing them on the DVD player.
As you indicated, most software is for ripping DVDs and do not include the .ABO fie option.

OP
C

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
I actually found a converter called 'DVD Audio Extractor" that seems to be working quite well. I manage to download the music in 24/96 and plays well from the Mac.
I recommend it to whoever needs to do this.
@DVDdoug , @twsecrest

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I would try this with foobar2000:

It's not illegal if you own & rip the disc unless your sharing it on the internet.

Top Bottom