• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Converter suggestions for laptop>USB>SDIF>HK990

gusgus

Hello
I'm looking for suggestions on how to connect my laptop running on windows 10 playing music with MediaMonkey to the HK 990
Unfortunately the HK 990 doesn't have an HDMI input.

I had the laptop connected to the HK 990 using a USB to SPDIF converter.
But the Peachtree converter stopped working.

I haven't been able to find a replacement for it on a reasonable price.
The 2 products that I have found so far are the

Audiophilleo for about $600
IFI Micro iDAC2 for about $400

For the meantime I bought the Signstek usb to SPDIF converter but that one only goes up to 48k sample rate. I'm looking for the converter to go up to 192.

I'm not sure if another option would be to connect the laptop using an HDMI to SPDIF converter.
I found one but I'm not sure if it will work and if the sound quality will be the same or better than the USB converter.
This HDMI converter claims that it product claims it goes up to 1536KHz Sample Rate.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and advice.

OP
G

gusgus

At $80-$90, the Topping D10 is a decent USB-to-SPIDF converter and, as a bonus, a solid DAC. That's what I'd buy to connect a laptop to that receiver.

Thanks
I guess I could go up to $300

Any recommendations? If you can please put them in order of preference
Thanks

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Gustard U12 is fine, too, at $169, but it lacks a DAC function. It is reliable but is not the last word in noise and jitter rejection. The Singxer SU-1 is reputed to be the best USB-to-SPIDF converter under $1,000, but it's around $349, a bit above your price range. I haven't seen measurements of the Singxer from a trustworthy source, so I cannot confirm that it's the best.

I'd probably just go with the Topping. I don't think that the differences among these products are likely to be audible.

Last edited:
OP
G

gusgus

The Gustard U12 is fine, too, at $169, but it lacks a DAC function. It is reliable but is not the last word in noise and jitter rejection. The Singxer SU-1 is reputed to be the best USB-to-SPIDF converter under $1,000, but it's around $349, a bit above your price range. I haven't seen measurements of the Singxer from a trustworthy source, so I cannot confirm that it's the best.

I'd probably just go with the Topping. I don't think that the differences among these products are likely to be audible.

Thanks, I saw the review on the Gustard and it wasn't good.
I was also looking at the Topping D30 and Topping D50.
But I'm not sure if those two have coaxial output.
Do you know if they do?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I saw the review on the Gustard and it wasn't good.
I was also looking at the Topping D30 and Topping D50.
But I'm not sure if those two have coaxial output.
Do you know if they do?

I don't know, but it sure would be easy for you to find out.

The Gustard works fine. Its drivers are very stable, and it's very reliable.

It's very unlikely that you will hear the differences among any of these products. The differences almost certainly will be buried well below the analog noise floor of your system.

OP
G

gusgus

Thanks, I checked and they don't have coaxial output.
I also found the Matrix X-SPDIF 2.
According to one reviewer this Matrix sounds better than the Singxer SU-1
I'm trying to find their specifications.
And there has to be a difference on what is heard. All those measurements have to stand for something. It might not be much but is something we can use to compare.
Thanks a lot for your help

Top Bottom