• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Controlling output volume via Bluetooth?

So I have a pair of active PA speakers and a Bluetooth receiver with a DAC built in (XDUOO XQ-50 PRO2) and was wondering if it would be a good idea to use my phone's volume control to adjust the output volume of the speakers when I have people over and want to put on some music instead of having to keep going to the mixer and adjust the volume manually.

I've tried it and it works fine but my question is whether or not I am losing dynamic range when my phone's volume is set to anything other than max output?

Surely feeding an external DAC/preamp with a remote control for controlling the volume from the XDUOO would result in a better sound quality right?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Most Bluetooth devices nowadays use Absolute volume meaning that no matter what volume your phone is set to, the audio signal is sent at 100% volume and your phone's buttons are instead controlling the volume control built into the Bluetooth receiver.
That ensures maximum SNR for the Bluetooth transmission.

OP
drummerdimitri
Most Bluetooth devices nowadays use Absolute volume meaning that no matter what volume your phone is set to, the audio signal is sent at 100% volume and your phone's buttons are instead controlling the volume control built into the Bluetooth receiver.
That ensures maximum SNR for the Bluetooth transmission.
That's great!

Does this mean I don't need a preamp with volume control to get the most out of the system?

Top Bottom