• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Control your miniDSP Flex from your iPhone (new Homebridge plugin)

fudgy

Hey folks,

thanks to this invaluable forum, I have discovered the miniDSP Flex as the perfect tool for all my pre-amp and room correction needs.

The only thing missing was a way to control it via my iPhone and HomeKit automations, so I created a Homebridge plugin to solve this:
https://github.com/j-lechner/homebridge-minidsp-rs#readme

It allows you to change the volume, input source, DSP preset and Dirac status right from your iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch. Further I have added gain control per input source, so that you can pull up all your different inputs to the same level. You can also easily create HomeKit automation scenes, e.g. turning off the lights and switching the input source to your TV/projector.

The audience for this might be rather small, but I figured it is still worth sharing.

Feel free to PM me in case of any (setup) questions!
Johannes

Attachments

• miniDSP-Homebridge.png
    miniDSP-Homebridge.png
    405.9 KB · Views: 148
  • miniDSP-Homebridge.png
    miniDSP-Homebridge.png
    42 KB · Views: 151

mglobe

Forum Donor
This looks really promising, and allows some great capabilities, not the least of which is a pre-set volume per input. Possibly dumb question, but is there any possibility that the MS Surface Dial could be integrated to allow volume control via the homebridge?

arichman

Hey folks,

thanks to this invaluable forum, I have discovered the miniDSP Flex as the perfect tool for all my pre-amp and room correction needs.

The only thing missing was a way to control it via my iPhone and HomeKit automations, so I created a Homebridge plugin to solve this:
https://github.com/j-lechner/homebridge-minidsp-rs#readme

It allows you to change the volume, input source, DSP preset and Dirac status right from your iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch. Further I have added gain control per input source, so that you can pull up all your different inputs to the same level. You can also easily create HomeKit automation scenes, e.g. turning off the lights and switching the input source to your TV/projector.

The audience for this might be rather small, but I figured it is still worth sharing.

Feel free to PM me in case of any (setup) questions!
Johannes

Thanks for this. I do fear somewhat my Flex, since in home theater mode it is at max volume, which could be a nasty surprise when I switch to two channel mode! So I'm motivated to get the volume preset correctly. I'm not familiar with Homekit, so I found it tough going. I did manage to get something working, as several of the functions appeared as accessories. I simply slung in your plugin with my IP address, to see if I could get something working. But not all the input options appeared. I noticed that Homebridge said something about the accessories framework not being maintained in favor a dynamic framework, which has me wondering if Homebridge has broken your implementation? Adam

mglobe

Forum Donor
Thanks for this. I do fear somewhat my Flex, since in home theater mode it is at max volume, which could be a nasty surprise when I switch to two channel mode! So I'm motivated to get the volume preset correctly. I'm not familiar with Homekit, so I found it tough going. I did manage to get something working, as several of the functions appeared as accessories. I simply slung in your plugin with my IP address, to see if I could get something working. But not all the input options appeared. I noticed that Homebridge said something about the accessories framework not being maintained in favor a dynamic framework, which has me wondering if Homebridge has broken your implementation? Adam
I had a similar experience and gave up. I use a Microsoft Surface Dial to control volume in Roon when listening to music. Been in discussions with the developer of the the software (RooDial) to extend the capabilities to allow control of the Flex itself rather than just the software. You will as it stands need to have a Roon installation and a Dial, so it’s not without some expense.

Post in thread 'My Kingdom For A Remote Volume Knob! can this be made?'

Top Bottom