• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Control Functionality in Preamplifiers

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll take a broad definition of a pre-amp here - to include integrated amps, receivers, or anything that is used to switch signal inputs, and modify that signal (including DSP boxes and DCs).

Switching - You want to be able to switch in various sources, both analog and digital. To me, the DAC should be built into the pre-amp, and maybe a WiFi link too.

Volume Control - seems obvious; and you want levels matched for all sources. You want a quick way to mute things too.

DSP & Tone Controls - should all be done in the pre-amp, maybe DSP need or parametric EQ needs a nearby TV screen for display. And a quick way to switch among different setups, including a defeat switch. I'd include various filters under this category as well.

As an exemplary example I offer this vintage unit:

Apt-Holman Preamplifier.jpg

Tomlinson Holman also provided 2 different switches for dubbing 'directions' and

the ability to pan all the way from stereo to mono, and

the ability to send either input channel to both output channels.

Add in the new-fangled digital stuff I mentioned above, and you'd have the ultimate box to control your music.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You forgot something.

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ergonomics is a closely related topic. If it is frustrating to use a given functionality, it won't be used much. Contrariwise, if it is easy or pleasant to use a knob or switch, the user will have warm, subjective feelings towards the product (perhaps extending to SQ).

Here is another pre-amp to show a couple of things.

ls25a.jpg

Toggle switches are preferred to push buttons as they are easier to change.

The knobs should be easy to grasp and turn (unfortunately, the newer ARC gear no longer has the nice tactile feel on the knobs; instead, you twist and hold until some digital circuit changes thins - not a nice feel).

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Design of Everyday Things: Revised and Expanded Edition Paperback – Illustrated, November 5, 2013
by Don Norman (Author)

pre-amp designers should read the above book

Katji

Major Contributor
Toggle switches are preferred to push buttons as they are easier to change.

1614306298489.png

[...] instead, you twist and hold until some digital circuit changes thins - not a nice feel).

I don't like the little chrome buttons. What I really don't like is the ones you have to press and hold for them to change mode.

Even if they're not like those toggles, I like the old standard radio shop toggle switches...the classic DIY type.

And if I was building a pre-amp - or getting one built for me - I'd get a very good expensive volume control. ...motorised or not. ........At least the Yamaha AX-497 (which I'm not using nowadays) seems to have a decent volume control, and it has that variable Loudness control. None of which I used, though.

Basic DSP and DAC should be there, nowadays. I have that in the Edifier speakers now, though. ...USB, XMOS, DSP, DAC, analog input TI amp/s. The DSP is not the PEQ type, though, it's like variable crossover/voicing - Monitor / Dynamic / Classic / Voice.

Top Bottom