• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Contact Enhancers

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yea I got to work extra early when it was dark , one treated battery one untreated and tested them...

I did, I did , I did... Why don't you believe me:mad::D

Thousands will believe you on WBF, maybe one will here on ASR :D

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My left mouse button has been uncooperative for a long while.

My mouse is still good, 10 months later.

Built a new PC recently, one five year old SSD has been giving me fits.

Works fine externally in a dock, refused to remain in-service on the internal SATA.

Changed SATA cable, changed SATA port, did everything I could do (there's not much you can do). It would just drop out.

Put a little DeOxit Gold on the connectors, and both ends of the cable, and it's good for 24 hours. Before, maybe a few minutes.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
SSDs do fail, make sure the data on that drive is backed up...

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
SSDs do fail, make sure the data on that drive is backed up...

upload_2017-9-13_10-25-13.png

It's half of a RAID 1

SMART is clean on it

upload_2017-9-13_10-35-53.png

100% useful life remaining (how can that be?)

Full diagnostic clean

... and so on

upload_2017-9-13_10-27-17.png

upload_2017-9-13_10-27-46.png

The pair have the OS on them, so they get (what looks like to me, at least) a boatload of write activity as the bloatwares write little notes to themselves 24 hours a day.

And this drive, before replacing the super-cheap-came-with-the-case Power Supply would fault and have to be totally rewritten to sync up with the other. It has fewer writes on it:

upload_2017-9-13_10-53-50.png

An SSD endurance test:

https://betanews.com/2014/12/05/modern-ssds-can-last-a-lifetime/

Four pages:
http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

I did have a SanDisk fail in a barely used laptop, though. They replaced it and it is still running.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Got ya beat there Ray, :D
Drive has been running since 4/2009 with no sign of any issues.
One of (if not THE) first SSD's to support TRIM, and that was only after a firmware update 6 months or so later.
OCZ was a leader in SSD tech back then.

I make a bootable-installable LiveDVD of the OS every few months for a backup along with a rsync of the /home to a WD spinner drive.
Just in case everything on the Vertex should die some day.
OCZ Vertex.png
OCZ2.png
OCZ3.png

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
OK, hopefully you're good, was just bringing it up. SSDs tend to fail with little warning, not that HDDs are much better.

Make sure you have disabled automatic defrag and all that jazz on an SSD; they normally do leveling using their own internal algorithms to optimize lifetime.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Make sure you have disabled automatic defrag and all that jazz on an SSD
Those are Windoz bad habits. LOL
But I believe even Doz is smart enough to recognize SSDs and have handed drive maintenance off to a TRIM cronjob and modern SSDs internal Garbage Collection routines.
Like you said, all drives fail and a comprehensive backup plan is highly adviseable.
That said and though I'm not very active any more on the Linux OS forums, after all the chicken little internet jabber of SSD being unreliable, I've read very little evidence to that? Could just be a matter of where I'm active?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
When I installed a new SSD in my Win10 notebook the Samsung utility prompted me to turn a bunch of stuff off, including automatic defrag and hibernation. I am no Windows expert, however. My company designs RAID products so has a lot of experience with SSDs (though I personally don't have a lot). I have not heard of significant reliability problems with SSDs any more than HDDs, and in fact our work notebooks are required to have SSDs as they are so much more shock resistant. SSDs do have some quirks at the physical and driver level but for consumers those are usually not an issue. I do not know how lifetimes compare now; there were some early issues with some SSDs but AFAIK they are pretty solid these days. And much faster than spinners.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I think the early SSD problems were more with the controller/firmware as it translates where the OS thinks a file is to where the drive has put it (and maybe moved parts of it around) along with the other functions an SSD needs to work as well as pretend it is a spinning Hard Disk with cylinders and sectors and whatnot.

Congratulations on your cheapness, Sal. I like cheapness. And Cheepnis, too.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There were some problems with FW but also limited reliability due to the media and it took a while to figure out the best way to do leveling across cells. I do not know what they are doing now, but a few years ago part of the secret sauce was optimizing lifetime and performance through the leveling algorithms. Leveling means using all the cells equally, more or less, and not dwelling on any one so it "wears out" too soon. That means defrag and similar utilities that try to keep everything neat and tidy and all "up front" in the disc will cause SSDs to die prematurely. The algorithms work in the background to spread the data across the storage cells so they are evenly used.

Last edited:

pedrob

Now we can add Nano Particle Solution-1260 to the mix, which is claimed to be a ground breaking Three Dimensionality Enhancer.

Contact Enhancers might have place in stopping oxidation although I have always found firm connections with quality connectors is sufficient.

Personally I can't get my head around how a Three Dimensionality Enhancer can make an audible improvement.

"What is so different about this product is that it doesn't focus on electron transfer, it focuses on magnetic or electromagnetic field transfer. It is uniquely set apart in idea and design." Hmm, I not so sure about that benefit as non optical cables are electron transfer.

I prefer to have an open mind, but at $599 Per unit + Shipping I'll give this one a miss.

Gregss

Now we can add Nano Particle Solution-1260 to the mix, which is claimed to be a ground breaking Three Dimensionality Enhancer.

Contact Enhancers might have place in stopping oxidation although I have always found firm connections with quality connectors is sufficient.

Personally I can't get my head around how a Three Dimensionality Enhancer can make an audible improvement.

"What is so different about this product is that it doesn't focus on electron transfer, it focuses on magnetic or electromagnetic field transfer. It is uniquely set apart in idea and design." Hmm, I not so sure about that benefit as non optical cables are electron transfer.

I prefer to have an open mind, but at $599 Per unit + Shipping I'll give this one a miss.

Hello,

Seems there is now a "three dimensional" attack on peoples wallets. One just wasn't enough. :)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use DeOxit - in a spray can. It works great. I rotate the old German "bullet" fuses back and forth while spraying. I haven't had any fuse related problems on my car in years.

I use it on the stereo contacts too. Every 5 to 10 years.

Top Bottom