• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Construction of metal boxes

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In this age of 'makers' with CNC machines and 3D printers and shops full of tools (funded by Youtube channels), it's very nice to see someone figuring out how to fabricate clean, elegant cases with basic tooling...AND figure out the layout, wiring and mounting of the electronics, switches and connectors.
We all too often quibble about minor design aspects of the products we use/choose, but lose sight of the many engineering challenges/compromises that go into every design - your photo essay demonstrates/reminds us of that very nicely.
I recognize your technique for fabricating inside radiused chamfered corners by removing material rather than building up - I had to do the very same thing when fabricating my corian countertops a few years back - Nice!
The effort that went into these must have been tremendous - a hobby gone 'mad' with inspiration?
I get it.
Thanks for documenting and sharing!

OP
R

Rigel

Eetu, Neddy, simbloke Thanks to you for commenting. I really appreciate your words. I'm also glad you liked it.

My ability is behind my imagination and / or self-criticism and that can be a frustrating problem. Sometimes I have a hard time, I want to quit when things don't work out and above all I spend a lot of time ... Luckily I'm a little stubborn and when I finish it and see it finished, it makes up for all the effort and makes me happy.

jae

Major Contributor
Really great work! I am considering doing something like this with a passively cooled mini-itx board (or raspberry pi) and topping D90+A90, but with everything in one enclosure.

OP
R

Rigel

Thank you jae

I also have the D90 and am almost decided on the A90 as well. I think it must be a very good combination.

Well, it's a question of considering it. And weigh the possible advantages and disadvantages of having it all in one box.

If you have a place where you can work regularly, without disturbing with noise or dirt and you have a minimum of tools, you would already have important things.
I am not a professional in metallurgy, but If I can help you with something, count on me.

jae

Major Contributor
My favourite product aesthetically is the Questyle CMA Twelve, so I may do something similar to that. Maybe better for me would be to find an existing hi-fi/rackmount enclosure with similar dimensions and just drill or machine a custom faceplate/back plate for it. I like all-in-one units, but I find most of them (at least the ones measured here) lacking in some aspects. I like topping DX7 but the headphone out is too high impedance. Maybe the best one is the Matrix Element X but it is $3000 US (and no black enclosure!).

I was considering maybe even putting a stereo hypex or purifi class d power amp and a preamp in it too, but maybe that will be too large and noisy.

Attachments

• questyle-cma-twelve-master_01_1_1.jpg
    questyle-cma-twelve-master_01_1_1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 93
OP
R

Rigel

Hi again.

I think the important thing would be first, decide what it is that interests you or you need and weigh the problems of doing it.

Installing DIY electronics like Hypex or Purifi amplifiers in the box we make would be a relatively easy thing mechanically speaking, but adapting electronics like a DAC or a headphone amp that already have their own box / chassis already complicates something else. .

The rear connection of inputs and outputs could be on the back of the box as I did with the SU-1, but the display and keypad of a DAC and / or amplifier, should remain accessible and should be wired and this could be easy, difficult or almost impossible, depending on the team. But it is a matter of studying each case.

A good option would be to buy a box or chassis and then adapt the front, rear or sides to your liking or needs.
You would save yourself a lot of work. If you like the color black, with matte black paint it could look good, but it should also be borne in mind that the finishes achieved by companies to their teams are difficult to obtain with homemade means. Painting process, screen printing etc.

Long ago I made a power supply for a Musical Fidelity V8 and that's what I did, I bought a box and changed the front.

DSC-0303.jpg

DSC0267.jpg

DSC0270.jpg
DSC0289.jpg

DSC-0334.jpg

DSC-0337.jpg

DSC-0338.jpg

DSC-0350.jpg

DSC-0351.jpg

DSC-0355.jpg

DSC-0356.jpg

DSC-0360.jpg

DSC-0394.jpg

DSC-0398.jpg

DSC-0364.jpg

DSC-0368.jpg
DSC-0370.jpg

DSC-0415.jpg

DSC0029.jpg

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Old thread but wanted to chime in and compliment you on some incredible work. It takes a lot of time, patience and skill to accomplish that level of fit and finish!

OP
R

Rigel

Old thread but wanted to chime in and compliment you on some incredible work. It takes a lot of time, patience and skill to accomplish that level of fit and finish!

Thank you very much for your words, I am glad you like it.

Indeed, it has taken me many hours and effort, more than I can seem by looking at the photos, but since it is a hobby, I really enjoy it when I manage to finish it and overcome the difficulties that, for the most part, I impose myself.
These works are both an end in itself with a means as well.

Sorry my bad english. A greeting.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha! Didn't realize you were the same member posting on the D90 mod, didn't mean to spam you with praise all at once! Would very much like a source on those spring filled buttons on your volume control - or did you fabricate those too?

OP
R

Rigel

Hi DWPress. Do not worry, It is no hassle.

If you mean the 4 buttons on the power supply, they are really aluminum rivets that I sanded the head of on a drill press. In one of the photos, you can see one of them without the glossy finish.
Those rivets actuate 4 buttons of an internal adjustable source that can be seen in one of the photos.

I made it initially to power a Musical Fidelity V8 that I have not used for a long time.

Feanor

Forum Donor
Totally amazing -- making anything out of wood, even, is beyond my capability, much less metal.

There are a quite few other astonishing example of craftsmanship here at ASR to be sure.

Speaking of metal, once know a gentleman who made a fully functional scale model steam locomotive at least 1.5m in length. He was a professional machinist with an array of elaborate tools but even so. I only wish I had a picture of it.

gentlejax

I wish I lived next door so I could polish up all the cases when you are done....anything...sweep the floor of the shop...take out the trash...

amazing !

OP
R

Rigel

Totally amazing -- making anything out of wood, even, is beyond my capability, much less metal.

There are a quite few other astonishing example of craftsmanship here at ASR to be sure.

Speaking of metal, once know a gentleman who made a fully functional scale model steam locomotive at least 1.5m in length. He was a professional machinist with an array of elaborate tools but even so. I only wish I had a picture of it.

Thank you Feanor, I'm glad you like it.

Indeed, we can see very interesting things and people with a lot of talent on their hands.

Although I like manual work, I also like to see the work of numerical control milling machines and lathes. It is impressive to see the level that technology, has reached and how materials as hard as steel work with such ease.

OP
R

Rigel

I wish I lived next door so I could polish up all the cases when you are done....anything...sweep the floor of the shop...take out the trash...

amazing !

:) Thanks to you also gentlejax for your words.

There is also a lot of noise and annoying knocks. The matter does not have much glamor until the last steps are finished, sanding, polishing etc.

In any case, aesthetics have not been the main priority in the construction of the boxes, except in the first of the transformers for doing something different. More than anything the utility.
With the water block it was the opposite.

Maybe one day I'll build something else, but it won't take that long. After the first one, making three equal boxes felt very heavy.

A greeting.

Top Bottom