• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Considering several options for center, sides and surrounds...need some feedback please

GabrielPhoto

Hello!
So I have the JBL 590s as Mains. Currently have been testing various options for center ( another 590 is not an option any time soon).
The JBL 520c and 530 were not up to par as a center.
The Klipsch 504c, RC-64 III and RC-7 have been the ones I have tested more now. So far the RC-7 and 504c are at the top.
Still...I am not done testing and after reading more about 3 way centers, I am considering the Monolith and SVS Ultra but then saw the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UC52 reviewed here and that got to the top of my next to test list.
While I sit 12' away and is mainly my wife and I watching movies (thus off-axis performance is less of a concern), I dont mind getting a better center for my money.

But, besides the center, I wanted to improve my sides and surrounds to something that looks less Frankenstein :D
So, I grabbed 4 Klipsch towers KF-28s for sides and surrounds but now I am thinking I am better of with bookshelves so that I place the drivers just above head level so that my wife and I have a clear path to the drivers on the side speakers.

The rears should be fine even with towers as our sofa is low back so it does not block our ears.
So...I could get the matching Klipsch bookshelves for the sides and keep the KF-28 towers for rears. That would be the easiest route of course.
Or, I could just get JBL 530s for sides and surrounds and have an almost all JBL system aside from the center.
My concern with the 530 is that they are kind of hard to drive. I am using a Denon x4400h (the L and R have a separate amp).
Or I could get 530s for sides and 580 for rears and still keep it all JBL.
Of course, getting matching Klipsch for the sides would be easier to drive. Plus, when I say matching JBLs..I guess I mean aesthetically since they wont sound that similar as I have tested the 530 before next to the 590s (and I am not talking about bass only).

And just to provide all info, my Atmos are Polk OWM3s. I wanted to change them to Definitive Technology Promonitor 1000 to get something I can crossover at 80Hz but they are bigger than expected for my ceiling mount so currently trying to figure out if I should bother looking for a mount or just keep the Polks I have already.

Any feedback is appreciated!

PS I ordered the Elac UC52 now ..for $319.0 it was worth trying for sure. Still want to try the Monolith and maybe SVS depending on what suggestions I get here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom