• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Consideration about Timbre

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yah, that approach has been discussed (and probably tried but not by me). Like adding absorption behind the panels (which I do), damping (or dampening for purists) the back wave eliminates most reflected content, and to many listeners the speakers do not sound as "alive" as when the back wave is allowed to scatter throughout the room. I prefer the sound with the back wave suppressed as the image is much better and I do not mind a "dead" room. YMMV.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Panels have to be big to have any sort of bass and dynamic range plus they sit out in the room unless you dampen the back wave. Fortunately I've an understanding wife (and now my "own" media room).
Big speakers = big sound, small speakers = small sound. Dems the rules. An old friend used to say "you can't change the laws of physics".
Let the rants begin. LOL

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The physics are a bit different for planar speakers (whether planar dynamic, ESL, or ribbon) and the physics do indeed drive greater surface area for panels. You can make trades among conventional drivers and cabinets so a "small" box does not sound that much different than a "large" box (though the deep bass will usually be lacking on the small one). The larger panels lead to a different projection pattern than smaller panels as well as difference in bass and dynamic range.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Mr. Putzeys (and Mr. RE Greene, I think) would say that it is the baffle width that makes the difference. Dropping in frequency, the output turns 'omni' at a higher frequency with a smaller baffle and this is the chief reason for 'small speaker sound'. Mr. Putzeys designed his Grimm LS1 with a super-wide baffle for this reason, and the Kii is an electronic simulation of a wider baffle.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Mr. Putzeys (and Mr. RE Greene, I think) would say that it is the baffle width that makes the difference. Dropping in frequency, the output turns 'omni' at a higher frequency with a smaller baffle and this is the chief reason for 'small speaker sound'. Mr. Putzeys designed his Grimm LS1 with a super-wide baffle for this reason, and the Kii is an electronic simulation of a wider baffle.

"and the Kii is an electronic simulation of a wider baffle".

Yet, the Kiis sound small. I am not quite sure how successful the Kiis are in sounding "big".

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Yet, the Kiis sound small. I am not quite sure how successful the Kiis are in sounding "big".
Well I haven't heard them myself, but I've seen a few reviews that resemble this one:
The whole time though, you’re thinking; ‘how do those tiny little speakers make all that sound?!’. With eyes closed and a good-sounding track playing, the room is absolutely full of sound. When you open your eyes, it’s almost as if the illusion is destroyed – there’s simply no way those little things can produce all that sound. But they do, and they do it easily and effortlessly.
I really am going to have to check these speakers out! Speakers that really did sound small to me were the KEF LS50 - but people rave about them.

The Kii blurb is here:
https://www.kiiaudio.com/en/tech-acou.html

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Well I haven't heard them myself, but I've seen a few reviews that resemble this one:

I really am going to have to check these speakers out! Speakers that really did sound small to me were the KEF LS50 - but people rave about them.

The Kii blurb is here:
https://www.kiiaudio.com/en/tech-acou.html

Go test them!

I have auditioned them in 3 different rooms, plus my own room. Side by side with Genelec 8351 they sounded smaller, tighter, a bit like the speakers in my MacBook Pro (2017).

Cosmik

Major Contributor

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor

You should have in mind that the new MacBook speakers are really good. Once, I thought the sound came from behind and got a bit disoriented. But I would never characterise such sound as «big».

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have auditioned them in 3 different rooms, plus my own room. Side by side with Genelec 8351 they sounded smaller, tighter, a bit like the speakers in my MacBook Pro (2017).
LOL, Now that right there's funny. :)

Top Bottom