• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Consensus on the best mid-fi Hifiman to get these days?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is that there is not THE HD600 but it had several changes over its production years, so actually both sides can have their correct points:

Sennheiser_HD580600650_Photo_Inside.jpg

Source and more details: https://www.stereophile.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650-page-2

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is that there is not THE HD600 but it had several changes over its production years, so actually both sides can have their correct points:

Sennheiser_HD580600650_Photo_Inside.jpg

Source and more details: https://www.stereophile.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650-page-2
That has nothing to do with the discussion of a statement from someone (ridiculously) saying in this thread that HD580 was basically the same headphone as an HD650 - the differences are large enough that it's not explained by any small revisions, it's totally absurd to even think otherwise. Also I think it's established that there are not significant differences between any of these potential revisions - I think Oratory once said that any changes fall within unit to unit variation, he doesn't distinguish any difference of revisions of HD600 or HD650 in his measurements. Your snippet of information you present is not related to the conversation that was being had, and certainly it is of no proof that you can say "actually both sides have their correct points". Poor post from you I'm afraid, I think you have an axe to grind with me based on an exchange we had way back when, so I intuitively know you act to cast doubt on my posts. You should have better standards (& of logic/discussion rigour), you normally do in your daily posting of which I'm not involved.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That has nothing to do with the discussion of a statement from someone (ridiculously) saying in this thread that HD580 was basically the same headphone as an HD650 - the differences are large enough that it's not explained by any small revisions, it's totally absurd to even think otherwise. Also I think it's established that there are not significant differences between any of these potential revisions - I think Oratory once said that any changes fall within unit to unit variation, he doesn't distinguish any difference of revisions of HD600 or HD650 in his measurements. Your snippet of information you present is not related to the conversation that was being had, and certainly it is of no proof that you can say "actually both sides have their correct points". Poor post from you I'm afraid, I think you have an axe to grind with me based on an exchange we had way back when, so I intuitively know you act to cast doubt on my posts. You should have better standards (& of logic/discussion rigour), you normally do in your daily posting of which I'm not involved.
How do you know if Oratory has measured all models, for example also many HD580 models and also very early HD600 ones? Also when measuring them as you know there is also the big influence of the worn state the pads are. Actually even the over years changed pads from Sennheiser have quite an influence https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd650/ My point is just that what he said for example that if ordering spare parts for them from Sennheiser giving you the same driver nowadays can be true and also that the heard differences (which depend also alot on the pad version and condition and the deep bass content of the music) can be very small, that's all, what you interpreted to them seems rather your own problem when I see the remaining part of your above post.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you know if Oratory has measured all models, for example also many HD580 models and also very early HD600 ones? Also when measuring them as you know there is also the big influence of the worn state the pads are. Actually even the over years changed pads from Sennheiser have quite an influence https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd650/ My point is just that what he said for example that if ordering spare parts for them from Sennheiser giving you the same driver nowadays can be true and also that the heard differences (which depend also alot on the pad version and condition and the deep bass content of the music) can be very small, that's all, what you interpreted to them seems rather your own problem when I see the remaining part of your above post.
That shown pad wear effect is not as large as the difference seen in the Oratory measurements between the two headphones; that point aside, see the following....

Ok, this prompted me to check Crinacle's website to get his measured frequency response of HD580 & HD650:
Crinacle HD580.pngCrinacle HD650.png
Actually according to his measurements and the unit he measured there is not much difference between the two. Whereas Oratory's is showing a large difference:
Harman 2018-Sennheiser HD580 precision-Sennheiser HD650.png
I tend to put more weight on the Oratory measurements as he often measures more than one unit, whereas I think Crinacle measures just one unit (of the ones I've graphed on his site so far). However, it does suggest there could be some unit variation in the HD580 that makes some of them measure close to an HD650 - perhaps @Svperstar has such an HD580. Either way, I'd say an HD580 is a pretty unpredictable buy given the reported frequency responses are massively different - certainly on a general level, I don't think it's possible to say that HD580 and HD650 are "basically the same headphone" but there may be some units out there that are quite close to it. Based on what we see here I can't downplay @Svperstar 's listening impression like I did before, so that needs to be made clear, it could well be an accurate listening impression of his units.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on what we see here I can't downplay @Svperstar 's listening impression like I did before, so that needs to be made clear, it could well be an accurate listening impression of his units.
Exactly, the question had been raised often in the past for example in German forums where the HD models were always very popular and quite few people had similar impressions.

And as said the HD 580-600-650 series has been gradual evolution which several changes even during one model, like Tyll Hertsens writes in above linked article:

Lastly, and this one is a bit too complicated for me too keep up with, the headphones seemed to be going through a number of internal changes in a somewhat random manner---at least from the viewpoint of enthusiasts. The acoustic damping material over the driver's baffle plate seemed to change willy nilly. I did notice, in the period after the fire in the Ireland plant where the HD 600/650 was built, a number of small changes. I won't speculate on what was going on, but the fire coupled with normal manufacturer in-line engineering changes has certainly kept enthusiasts guessing at what a standard 600 and 650 really looked like...even up to the present day.

Finally as a funny fact, a very similar to HD 600 construction with the metal grilles was initially offered as HD 580 Jubilee as part of Sennheiser's 50th anniversary celebration in 1995, 2 years before the release of the HD 600 and shows also their gradual evolution:

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hifiman followed up is now offering to replace the headphone free of charge. I don't know if they came across my two forum posts or what.
It is sad that it took so much effort, but glad to hear they eventually honored their commitment.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hahaha, the HD590 is a vintage rarity that I'll never part with.

Did someone say ... HD590 ?

b.t.w. not all HD580 are created equal.
There are different iterations and product variances in drivers. Some measure very closely to HD600 others less so.
When one sends in a HD580 for repair they will send you HD600 drivers.
HD650 drivers are different. Different order codes and different behavior, assuming the same pads are used.

Of course none of them are hifiman and none of them sound the same as a hifiman.

Last edited:

Jose Hidalgo

b.t.w. not all HD580 are created equal.
Absolutely.
And not all HD600 are created equal either.
And that's true for every headphone on Earth.
Also, not all tomatoes are created equal, but that's a story for some other time.

Some measure very closely to HD600 others less so.
In the bass region? Given the huge preamp difference measured by Oratory (-14.5 dB vs. -5.5 dB, that's 9 dB difference), I doubt that any HD590580 could magically earn those extra 9 dBs to come close to the HD600 (which already isn't exactly what we would call "bass heavy")...

If drivers are the same, or nearly the same, that does definitely not explain those 9 dB, and yet measurements are there to show it. The 580 may be a great headphone overall, I'm not discussing that, but it's a disaster in the bass region (versus the Harman target of course). So is it housing ? Damping ? Other stuff ?

Sure, above 100-150 Hz, everything may be OK. It's below that things start to get messy.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I doubt that any HD590 could magically earn those extra 9 dBs to come close to the HD600

HD590 is close to HD650.

hd590-vs-hd650.png

The 580 may be a great headphone overall, I'm not discussing that, but it's a disaster in the bass region

There are many people who do not prefer the Harman bass and are perfectly happy with the HD600 and HD580 bass levels. I do not see the disaster.

not all HD580 are created equal as in there is more variance between various HD580 than HD600.

Jose Hidalgo

HD590 is close to HD650.
My bad, there was a typo in my post (I wrote once 590 instead of 580). But we have been discussing of the 580 and 580 was written elsewhere in my post, so it should be obvious that I was talking about the 580. ;)

I do not see the disaster.
It's OK, it's only because you didn't read everything:
it's a disaster in the bass region (versus the Harman target of course)
In other words, it's a disaster in the bass region when compared to the Harman target.
Of course if you compare it to other targets, it may be better.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, I know the Oratory measurements.
There are also those measured by Tyll and Crinacle that tell a different story.
Also at SBAF there are HD580 measurements showing a 'version' that is close to HD600.

The HD580 oratory measured is indeed substantially different so for that particular one I fully agree with you, certainly when you want Harman bass.
I did read everything, however, I would not base my opinion solely on that single plot.
Just saying that the oratory HD580 precision appears to be an outlier judging by other measurements and my own experience with the HD580 I owned (sounded like a HD600 with a tad more upper mids, just my subjective opinion no evidence nor blind test).

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely.
And not all HD600 are created equal either.
And that's true for every headphone on Earth.
Also, not all tomatoes are created equal, but that's a story for some other time.

In the bass region? Given the huge preamp difference measured by Oratory (-14.5 dB vs. -5.5 dB, that's 9 dB difference), I doubt that any HD590580 could magically earn those extra 9 dBs to come close to the HD600 (which already isn't exactly what we would call "bass heavy")...

If drivers are the same, or nearly the same, that does definitely not explain those 9 dB, and yet measurements are there to show it. The 580 may be a great headphone overall, I'm not discussing that, but it's a disaster in the bass region (versus the Harman target of course). So is it housing ? Damping ? Other stuff ?

Sure, above 100-150 Hz, everything may be OK. It's below that things start to get messy.
The problem is that if you look at Crinacle's measurements of HD580 then it's really quite close to an HD650, so we're already talking about a large difference to what Oratory measured for the HD580 in the bass. So it definitely seem that there's at least some HD580's out there that are very similar to HD650/HD600. Graphs in the following post:

Jose Hidalgo

Thanks to both of you, I guess we are on the same page.
Yes, it's either that (some 580s close to 650s) or a measurement error. It's a bit weird.
Anyway, back to Hifiman now, maybe?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even though the HE400se are considered entry level, i'd wager they can go head to head with the Sundara in the Mid-Fi battle.

Top Bottom