• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Consensus on the best mid-fi Hifiman to get these days?

shaney777

Consensus on the best mid-fi Hifiman to get these days? I don't want to go over $200, and I prefer a neutral sound. Amp will be JDS Labs Atom.

I want something that competes with the Senn HD-600.

Thank y'all!

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any reason you don’t want the HD600, sounds like it ticks at least 2 boxes that you highlight?

OP
S

shaney777

Is there any reason you don’t want the HD600, sounds like it ticks at least 2 boxes that you highlight?
It is actually my dream headphone, but I can't really afford ~$800 for the setup. I've heard that some of the Hifiman models compete with it for much less money, along with the ability to use a cheaper amp by far.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is actually my dream headphone, but I can't really afford ~$800 for the setup. I've heard that some of the Hifiman models compete with it for much less money, along with the ability to use a cheaper amp by far.
If you already have the Atom amp why would you need more?

And look at getting the Drop HD 6XX- same unit as the HD650 which measures similarly (not identically) to the HD600.

Eldgrim

You don't need an $800 setup for the HD600. There are plenty of cheap amps that will drive them, like the Atom.

But if you insist on Hifiman, the Sundara are supposed to be great. But I think they are around $300 new, perhaps $200 used.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
S

shaney777

If you already have the Atom amp why would you need more?

And look at getting the Drop HD 6XX- same unit as the HD650 which measures similarly (not identically) to the HD600.
The Senns are still about twice what I want to spend on headphones, and I had my heart set on the Bottlehead Crack tube amp. I hear they shine with OTL amps. I wouldn't want to sell them short!

OP
S

shaney777

You don't need an $800 setup for the HD600. There are plenty of cheap amps that will drive them, like the Atom.

But if you insist on Hifiman, the Sundara are supposed to be great. But I think they are around $300.
I was figuring in about $450 for the Bottlehead Crack amp. But the Senn still cost too much, and I need something Hifiman since I have to exchange the ones I own for another model.

OP
S

shaney777

Eldgrim

I was figuring in about $450 for the Bottlehead Crack amp. But the Senn still cost too much, and I need something Hifiman since I have to exchange the ones I own for another model.
I see. If you have to exchange for a Hifiman then take a look at the HE400se. It is around $150 and is supposed to be pretty good from what I have heard.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok. It’s your money, but you for the price of the tube amp you can afford the mass drop hd6xx and an atom, which gets you where I thought you wanted to be. In your shoes I’d go for the best ‘phones I could get (the had 6xx are excellent and neutral as you seem to want). An amp is just something to make sound to come out of your ‘phones, IMO). I certainly wouldn’t go spending money on a tube amp if I didn’t already have the ‘ideal’ ‘phones. As I said, it’s your money.

OP
S

shaney777

I see. If you have to exchange for a Hifiman then take a look at the HE400se. It is around $150 and is supposed to be pretty good from what I have heard.
Yes, this is probably rank #1 on my radar right now. Thank you.

OP
S

shaney777

I wouldn't get a tube amp, unless you're a big fan of distortion. Get the Sennheiser or some open box Sundara. Both should fit right in your budget
The OB Sundara costs about the same as Senn HD600. Unfortunately it is out of my price range

OP
S

shaney777

Ok. It’s your money, but you for the price of the tube amp you can afford the mass drop hd6xx and an atom, which gets you where I thought you wanted to be. In your shoes I’d go for the best ‘phones I could get (the had 6xx are excellent and neutral as you seem to want). An amp is just something to make sound to come out of your ‘phones, IMO). I certainly wouldn’t go spending money on a tube amp if I didn’t already have the ‘ideal’ ‘phones. As I said, it’s your money.
I'll sort of be losing about $130 if I don't exchange the Hifiman I have now. I don't like them.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have use the hd6xx’s with a khadas tone 2 pro, with balanced cable (dekoni). You don’t get much better than that for the $500 all in if you ask me.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll sort of be losing about $130 if I don't exchange the Hifiman I have now. I don't like them.
Which do you have now? I wouldn't expect huge differences

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
S

shaney777

Which do you have now? I wouldn't expect huge differences
I have HE400i (2016) now. I think they are defective as well. The mids sound terrible

OP
S

shaney777

Sell them here or on eBay?
It's a thought, but I am honestly scared to sell more expensive items online. The buyer can do anything to scam you, like claim the headphones are defective and return an actually defective pair, damage them someway and return, etc. I also actually think mine were defective from Hifiman.

Top Bottom