• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connection question: Neumann KH 120 with KH 750 sub

SlothRock

Hey all! I recently bought the KH 120’s as my studio monitors and absolutely friggin love them. I’m currently using the pre-out XLR’s from my headphone amp to drive them and it works perfectly.

I’ve been toying with the idea of the adding the 750 sub to really complete the setup but am unsure how the connections would all work? I am used to home theater set ups and having a receiver that has a sub out + outs for the other speakers.

With my headphone amp just having the XLR outs, does that mean it won’t be sufficient/have the ability to add a sub using this headphone amp? Does the sub become the “master” connection point in this chain that id then connect my headphone amp to?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey all! I recently bought the KH 120’s as my studio monitors and absolutely friggin love them. I’m currently using the pre-out XLR’s from my headphone amp to drive them and it works perfectly.

I’ve been toying with the idea of the adding the 750 sub to really complete the setup but am unsure how the connections would all work? I am used to home theater set ups and having a receiver that has a sub out + outs for the other speakers.

With my headphone amp just having the XLR outs, does that mean it won’t be sufficient/have the ability to add a sub using this headphone amp? Does the sub become the “master” connection point in this chain that id then connect my headphone amp to?

Thanks in advance for the help!
As CtheArgie stated above, it's a simple XLR pass-through connection.

While I'm sure this a good subwoofer. Sure seems like a lot of money for a single 10'' sub. You could get two 12'' Kali's for that price.
Or you could get two very good 10's or 12's or possibly even 15's for that price. Not trying to sway you away per say from the KH sub, just think you can get more for what you are willing to pay.

OP
S

SlothRock

Awesome, thanks guys. My assumption was pass through but wanted to make sure.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As CtheArgie stated above, it's a simple XLR pass-through connection.

While I'm sure this a good subwoofer. Sure seems like a lot of money for a single 10'' sub. You could get two 12'' Kali's for that price.
Or you could get two very good 10's or 12's or possibly even 15's for that price. Not trying to sway you away per say from the KH sub, just think you can get more for what you are willing to pay.
You are right, but if you plan using the special features of the KH750 with the MA1 for example, value is better than if you use it as a "dumb" sub.

OP
S

SlothRock

Does the KH750 add the DSP features to the 120’s as well when connected?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
This is my desktop setup. Perfect match. Sound is absolutely amazing. Setup is super easy. Used a KRK sub before. No contest.

The KH750 does phase correction for the whole setup, which is an added benefit.

Slayer

You are right, but if you plan using the special features of the KH750 with the MA1 for example, value is better than if you use it as a "dumb" sub.
Looking at all the specs and features, I still think the Kali WS-12 offers a much better value and performance package.
KH 750-105 db spl
Now seeing how the KH-120 will do 112 db, the 750 sub will be pushed to its limits trying to keep up with KH-120 mains.

Kali WS-12-123dbspl, then factor in you get two kali's for the price of one Neuman, would be an easy choice for me. They will have no problem keeping up with his KH-120's with plenty of headroom. Just thought these were some things the op should keep in mind.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at all the specs and features, I still think the Kali WS-12 offers a much better value and performance package.
KH 750-105 db spl
Now seeing how the KH-120 will do 112 db, the 750 sub will be pushed to its limits trying to keep up with KH-120 mains.

Kali WS-12-123dbspl, then factor in you get two kali's for the price of one Neuman, would be an easy choice for me. They will have no problem keeping up with his KH-120's with plenty of headroom. Just thought these were some things the op should keep in mind.
Sure, you are correct. But with the MA1 in addition to the KH750, the room correction and sub integration results are very good. Surely not impossible, but tricky to achieve manually. So i think it still is a good option and good value for the money. Different options, both good in a different way.

OP
S

SlothRock

Also not looking for a huge sub. I don’t have tons of place to put a sub, just like I didn’t have tons of space to put my speakers so the I like the size of the KH750

Slayer

Also not looking for a huge sub. I don’t have tons of place to put a sub, just like I didn’t have tons of space to put my speakers so the I like the size of the KH750
Totally understandable.
Keep in mind the sub I gave to compare is only a few inches larger. The other to keep in mind is how loud you listen and room mode cancelations.
If you occasionally like to listen to it loud, the one KH 750 will not be able to keep up with your main speakers. It's usually a good idea to have your subs with more spl headroom than your mains, not less.

Remember your mains have a 112db spl and the KH 750 only has a 105db spl.
Whereas the Kali has a 123db spl and with two, you would get between 126-129db spl and be able to smooth out those nasty room modes. This way your subs have no problem of keeping up with the mains and still have plenty of headroom.

I would buy from somewhere that has a good return policy, then you could experiment with your options.

Top Bottom