• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting TV to studio monitors?

Pancreas

My TV only has optical out, it does not have headphone jack.

If I buy an audio interface that has optical inputs, and I have my studio monitors (Genekec 8030C) connected to the audio interface via TRS

If I connect my TV to the audio interface via optical, would I get sound since studio monitors are connected to the audio interface?

I have PS5 console and is connected to my computer monitor via HDMI, the PS5 doesn't have headphone jack. My computer monitor has a headphone jack as it has built in speakers, but they're weak. The PS5 transfer sound via HDMI. Since my studio monitors are connected to the audio interface

If I connect my computer monitor to the audio interface headphone jack via a 3.5 to TRS cable

Would I get sound from my PS5 on the studio monitors?

Another option is connecting the computer monitor to the computer via 3.5 to 3.5 cable, but the computer would need to be on to play PS5 sound through studio monitors.

If I get an audio interface with its own power supply, I could connect the computer monitor to the audio interface, so technically the sound signal would go

PS5 ---> Computer monitor ----> Audio interface ----> Studio monitor speakers

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

actually a better option is simply to buy a 3.5 to dual 1/4 TRS cable and connect the computer monitors to 2 TRS inputs on an interface assuming you have 2 extras that way you would get stereo?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
actually a better option is simply to buy a 3.5 to dual 1/4 TRS cable and connect the computer monitors to 2 TRS inputs on an interface assuming you have 2 extras that way you would get stereo?
You are quite likely to incur ground loop issues like that though. Plan on an additional Behringer HD400 plus cables to hook up the monitors to that (I would prefer TRS --> XLR male assuming the monitors have that, the TRS portion of XLR combo jacks in particular can be pretty annoying). Cheaper than a DAC with Toslink in and balanced output for sure.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

You are quite likely to incur ground loop issues like that though. Plan on an additional Behringer HD400 plus cables to hook up the monitors to that (I would prefer TRS --> XLR male assuming the monitors have that, the TRS portion of XLR combo jacks in particular can be pretty annoying). Cheaper than a DAC with Toslink in and balanced output for sure.

I'm lost now

The genelec 8030c only have XLR jack, so I connected them to my audio interface with a XLR to TRS cable, they sound good.

My main concern is getting sound from my PS5 on the studio monitors.

Since PS5 transfer sound via HDMI to computer monitor, my only options is to connect 3.5 to dual TRS cable to the interface

I would have to buy a better interface that has more input jacks

I'm also interested on using my TV with these studio monitors.

If I buy an audio interface with optical input, I can connect the TV to the audio interface and theorically get sound?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I'm talking about computer monitor, a display monitor, i have my ps5 connected to my display monitor via HDMI, I'll connect the display monitor to audio interface via 3.5 (display monitor headphone jack) to dual TRS, which would go to the TRS 1/4 inputs in audio interface

that way I would get sound from my PS5 to the studio speakers

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Which exact models of audio interface and PC monitor do you have?

If the interface has two inputs and zero latency monitoring, that would be an option.
Toslink optical input is a relatively uncommon option in audio interfaces, plus getting realtime monitoring for that might turn out to be messy.
HDMI ARC audio extraction is another option I might consider.

My favorite option might be using a little mixer with at least one pair of balanced inputs for the audio interface (Behringer Xenyx 802, Mackie 402 VLZ4 or similar), preferably two sets (although an unbalanced input pair with the HD400 in front of it would do for the headphone signal as well), that is assuming you can get one - they all seem to be backordered for months at Thomann, presumably related to the China shipping / supply chain issues.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Which exact models of audio interface and PC monitor do you have?

If the interface has two inputs and zero latency monitoring, that would be an option.
Toslink optical input is a relatively uncommon option in audio interfaces, plus getting realtime monitoring for that might turn out to be messy.

My favorite option might be using a little mixer with at least one pair of balanced inputs for the audio interface (Behringer Xenyx 802, Mackie 402 VLZ4 or similar), preferably two sets (although an unbalanced input pair with the HD400 in front of it would do for the headphone signal as well), that is assuming you can get one - they all seem to be backordered for months at Thomann, presumably related to the China shipping / supply chain issues.

Right now I have the Gigabyte m28u PC monitor and my audio interface is Scarlett solo but that interface won’t do for what I want. I need a better one.

I was thinking of the Scarlett 18i8

It has mono balanced inputs and outputs.

What would you recommend?

Audio interface with zero latency doesn’t exist

The mixer idea I don’t like is big, cables go upwards plus I’m a guitar player. I need an audio interface

linuxfan

My TV only has optical out ...
If I buy an audio interface that has optical inputs, and I have my studio monitors (Genelec 8030C) connected to the audio interface via TRS
Yes, that's the ideal configuration - optical s/pdif into D/A, then analogue balanced outputs to Genelecs.

I was thinking of the Scarlett 18i8
Sure, that would work, but unless you want the device to perform dual duties as both D/A interface for your TV, plus music recording duties, I think it's overkill.
I would choose the Topping E50 - much cheaper, and also allows a second coaxial s/pdif input ... read on ...
I have PS5 console and is connected to my computer monitor via HDMI
Yes, for your PS5 you should get an HDMI audio extractor/splitter, such as this -
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/164374099879
Connect the splitter's coaxial s/pdif output to the corresponding input of the E50 DAC, then you can switch between TV and PS5 via the DAC's remote control.

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Yes, that's the ideal configuration - optical s/pdif into D/A, then analogue balanced outputs to Genelecs.

Sure, that would work, but unless you want the device to perform dual duties as both D/A interface for your TV, plus music recording duties, I think it's overkill.
I would choose the Topping E50 - much cheaper, and also allows a second coaxial s/pdif input ... read on ...

Yes, for your PS5 you should get an HDMI audio extractor/splitter, such as this -
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/164374099879
Connect the splitter's coaxial s/pdif output to the corresponding input of the E50 DAC, then you can switch between TV and PS5 via the DAC's remote control.

I need a good interface as I'm a guitar player and may need other ports for guitar stuff like amp modeler, etc

I bought this HDMI splitter, is more expensive, as I kept reading bad reviews of the small ones, is an actual splitter not a switcher, may be useful for other stuff too

I bought it so I can connect my PS5 to both my PC monitor and my TV, so I can play on either if I get bored of sitting, as my TV is on the wall, is just for convenience

Top Bottom