• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting TV to a pair of external powered stereo speakers via RCA

Hmart

I have a pair of Marshall Stanmore II and I want to connect them in stereo, sourced from my TV via RCA.

How should I connect the audio?
1) connect a single RCA cable per speaker, leaving the other RCA input unplugged in each speaker (TV RCA Output - Left ----> Left_Speaker RCA Input - Left; TV RCA Output - Right ----> Right_Speaker RCA Input - Right)
or
2) Use a RCA Y-Adapter on each speaker to split the TV RCA Output channels in 2xLeft + 2xRight, and connect to both RCA inputs (L/R) in each speaker (TV RCA Output - 2xLeft ====> Left_Speaker RCA Input - Left&Right; TV RCA Output - 2xRight ====> Right_Speaker RCA Input - Left&Right)

I would also like to connect my DVD player as a source (via RCA, like the TV). For that purpose, I'm thinking the get a device like NEDIS Analogue Stereo Audio Switch Box, so I can conveniently switch source between the TV and the DVD player. Is this an appropriate setup?

Thank you

staticV3

Master Contributor
Since the Marshall II is a stereo speaker, and the inputs are all stereo, I expect that only one tweeter would play were you to plug in only one channel.

Therefore, I would leave a y-adapter like this permanently plugged into each Marshall II to ensure that they properly play in Mono:
61zZdDw-UkL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
H

Hmart

Since the Marshall II is a stereo speaker, and the inputs are all stereo, I expect that only one tweeter would play were you to plug in only one channel.

Therefore, I would leave a y-adapter like this permanently plugged into each Marshall II to ensure that they properly play in Mono:
View attachment 280215
That was also my best guess, thanks @staticV3.

Top Bottom