• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting new 2021 Node to Marantz SR6015

StephenInMTL

Hi,

I just got the new Node and connected it via L/R RCA to the Marantz SR6015. To get the highest sound ROI should I be using L/R RCA to the Marantz or Digital Coax or Optical? I read in another forum some recommending out from Node to the L/R pre-amp on the Marantz and sub out to pre-amp too.

I was also batting around the idea of a second integrated stereo amp with HT pass through so my L/R Klipsch RP500 can be used when I watch movies and just use the integrated amp for just stereo.

Curious about what you all think and can recommend. I finally have gear I’m proud of now I just want to get the equipment connected properly to get the best music experience.

Thank you for your time

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi,

I just got the new Node and connected it via L/R RCA to the Marantz SR6015. To get the highest sound ROI should I be using L/R RCA to the Marantz or Digital Coax or Optical? I read in another forum some recommending out from Node to the L/R pre-amp on the Marantz and sub out to pre-amp too.

I was also batting around the idea of a second integrated stereo amp with HT pass through so my L/R Klipsch RP500 can be used when I watch movies and just use the integrated amp for just stereo.

Curious about what you all think and can recommend. I finally have gear I’m proud of now I just want to get the equipment connected properly to get the best music experience.

Thank you for your time
That's a lot of dollars into electronics instead of speakers. Upgrading speakers always gets you the beat music experience. The room plays the second biggest role in that experience. The marantz is more then enough for movies and music with your current speakers FWIW.

OP
S

StephenInMTL

The speakers were purchased last year and I love them. If I get to redo the basement, I’ll get floorstanding ones but until then the Klipsch will do me fine.
Question is more about how to BEST connect the new Node into the SR6015. Thanks!

Everett T

Forum Donor
The speakers were purchased last year and I love them. If I get to redo the basement, I’ll get floorstanding ones but until then the Klipsch will do me fine.
Question is more about how to BEST connect the new Node into the SR6015. Thanks!
I'd use the digital connection, either one is fine. If you use analog you will get the Digital to analog conversion twice.

OP
S

StephenInMTL

I'd use the digital connection, either one is fine. If you use analog you will get the Digital to analog conversion twice.
And here I thought using RCA L/R from node to RCA L/R on the Marantz used the DAC on the node?

Which digital connection from Node to Marantz - Digital Coax or Optical? If there a noticeable difference? I was under the impression that Digital Coax get higher bitrate over optical

Everett T

Forum Donor
And here I thought using RCA L/R from node to RCA L/R on the Marantz used the DAC on the node?

Which digital connection from Node to Marantz - Digital Coax or Optical? If there a noticeable difference? I was under the impression that Digital Coax get higher bitrate over optical
Either one works fine. If you use multichannel playback, USB. Yes if you use analog, the node does the conversion but IIRC it will be converted back to digital in the marantz using anything but pure direct. There isn't much difference between the two DACs either way.

OP
S

StephenInMTL

Either one works fine. If you use multichannel playback, USB. Yes if you use analog, the node does the conversion but IIRC it will be converted back to digital in the marantz using anything but pure direct. There isn't much difference between the two DACs either way.

Wouldn’t the DAC on the Marantz SR6015 be a better DAC?

OP
S

StephenInMTL

Use them both.
I do and when I use the analog out to the Receiver I use Pure Direct mode.
You can switch back and forth and decide what you like.

Both Digital Coax and Optical?
Regarding Pure Direct I noticed it’s just L/R no SW. is that right?

Everett T

Forum Donor
Wouldn’t the DAC on the Marantz SR6015 be a better DAC?
I havent seen the measurement of the 6015 but based on Amirs measurements of the node, I'd use the Marantz to do the DAC work.

OP
S

StephenInMTL

I havent seen the measurement of the 6015 but based on Amirs measurements of the node, I'd use the Marantz to do the DAC work.
Are there bitrate limitations using one digital cable over another? Is one recommended over the other?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Both Digital Coax and Optical?
Regarding Pure Direct I noticed it’s just L/R no SW. is that right?
Direct/pure direct would normally for 2.0 content exclude the sub but pretty sure the Marantz offers a way to use the sub even in that mode....been a while since I bothered, I'd just use a digital connection from your streamer to the avr myself. The differences would be quite minute in any case plus then you can use bass management or other eq features easily in the Marantz without futzing around.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Sorry, can you explain?
The bit rate that the optical and coax play are the same, so which ever connection you want to use. Looks like the NODE doesn't do DSD except through the app and it converts it to PCM, so just ignore the USB comment.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Direct/pure direct would normally for 2.0 content exclude the sub but pretty sure the Marantz offers a way to use the sub even in that mode....been a while since I bothered, I'd just use a digital connection from your streamer to the avr myself. The differences would be quite minute in any case plus then you can use bass management or other eq features easily in the Marantz without futzing around.
I think if you set the speakers to LFE + Main in pure direct, it will route the bass to the sub. Been a couple of years since I played around with Marantz, but I'm pretty sure bass management works that way in PD.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think if you set the speakers to LFE + Main in pure direct, it will route the bass to the sub. Been a couple of years since I played around with Marantz, but I'm pretty sure bass management works that way in PD.

Sounds right.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir tested the Node's DAC and found it sub par. So definitely use the Marantz DAC. Feed it with toslink or coax digital. My Onkyo automatically uses the sub on direct setting if sub is hooked up with one of my Node setups so check online or in your manual for the 2.1 setting. Keep the sub hooked up to the Marantz not the Node if you are using it for HT also. The Marantz has multi-speaker room calibration I bet, so a second reason to just use single digital connection to the Node with sub on the amp. FYI all the Node outputs are working simultaneously, so they never switch to one or the other. I use a Bluetooth transmitter on one and dac on the other with an older Node2.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
USB output not available on previous Nodes, expected on new NODE with update at later date.

needledrop

Hi,

Thank you for your time
Hi,

I also own a Marantz SR6015 and recently purchased a Node 2i second hand to manage the Tidal streaming service. I use the Marantz only in pre-amp mode. It's attached to 2 NAD receivers to get me 7.4 dolby atmos. Marantz only decodes, the NADs amplify (NAD T773, old but good). It sounds great.

For music I have an android box (minix) that is feeding the NAD through an optical input to drive digital audio and let the NAD's digital to analog converter due its job. This also sounds great.

Adding a Node 2i, with rca analog interconects connected to the NAD (bypassing the Marantz) sounds terrible (flat... no soundstage). Huge downgrade from letting the NAD dac do its job. The Node is a great streaming device (tidal connect, full MQA compatibility), however its digital to analog converter is terrible.

My advice is to connect your Node with a digital coaxial cable directly to the Marantz and let the Marantz do the decoding. Try it, see what sounds best. I bet you will improve soundstage greatly.

Regarding your comment/question of using a seperate amp to manage stereo/music, I strongly support going this route. AV receivers usually are not that musical. The NAD I have is an exception, but a decent stereo amp should be an improvement overall.

Ignore all this in case what you got sounds good to your ears. That's what matters most.

Top Bottom