• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting mac mini to Kali monitors?

OzarkCDN

I have a pair of Kali LP6v2 monitors to play sound from my keyboard / vst program on my mac mini and wondering what the best way to hook them up might be? The simpliest way seems out the mini phono 1/8" jack on the back of the mac mini to the speakers, but the speakers have xlr (+4 dBu sensitivity), 1/4" TRS (+4dBu sensitivity), and rca (-10 DBV (sic) sensitivity) inputs.

Should using a more sensitive TRS / XLR input (although out of the mac mini 1/8" audio out, I think it's an unbalanced output, so XLR doesn't really benefit here) have less noise?

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The line output is unbalanced so you are going to lose 6dB and that will likely increase noise as equivalent volume raises the noise floor. But I would try it and see what you think of the results.

The best solution would be a good balanced DAC or audio interface. Maybe look at the Topping D10balanced for a DAC or the Scarlett 2i2or 4i4 for an interface.

OP
O

OzarkCDN

Thanks. I do have an old Behringer 204hd I could use probably too. Never used it with the Mac because Mac latency performance is much faster vs windows for midi use but I was trying to see if the interface would solve it to use on a pc

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The rca inputs. You just need stereo mini klinge to 2*rca cabel.

Top Bottom